• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Patched Ball Hunters: Flintlock or Caplock this fall?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. Both... all 4... flint and cap rifles, flint and cap smoothies.
I will not be using the cap smoothie with patched round ball tho, just shot.

Well, I see a mix of replies regarding PRB, AND shot loads, AND archery equipment scattered through the 3 polls...but the 3 polls were actually entitled and aimed at "Traditional PRB (Patched Round Ball) Hunters"...

:grin:

You know, I felt kind of weird selecting the flintlock option because I have 2 agendas for this year's gun seasons. I want to use my scoped 20 gauge shotgun to try and get a mature buck, and get a deer with a muzzleloader and with a flintlock. Well, I've gotten a lot better with the flintlock and it's a muzzleloader so it gets 2 of my 3 wants for the deer season. Because there wouldn't be enough time to get a deer with the slug gun, flinter, and caplock so the flintlock and shotgun win. Plus cleaning up my flintlock is so much easier than that traditions caplock. I've established a load with my .54 lyman trade rifle flinter. .530 Hornady ball with a .016 cotton drill patch in front of 90 grains of 3f grafs black powder. As long as my flint is positioned forward enough in the jaws and is sharp the gun is very reliable. Last weekend I was shooting a pretty well at 40 yards off-hand. By hunting season I think my top range will be 50 yards off-hand and maybe a bit further with a rest. I know some of you may scoff at me wanting to also use a modern scoped shotgun but the area that I will hunt with the shotgun is pretty open and shots can be anywhere from 30-200 yards. I can only shoot to 150 with my shotgun but my dad has got some deer at 200 yards. Anyway I don't think I'd ever even want a muzzleloader that can shoot past 100 because then it seems too much like an inline.

have you ever read pilgrims journey by Mark baker about Morgans Rifle men and how they had to shoot with a flintlock longrifle I think it was a 7inch hoghead the end of a wooden cask at 200 some odd yards and they had to put 7 balls in it know your gun shoot at all ranges use it like your life may depend on it God Bless

flintlock caplock centerfire inline and my bow which is a xcalaber crossbow be cause of a bad shoulder. :wink:

I voted flint, for my .50 & .32, but if some longer range circumstances arise, I'll likely grab the percussion .577 P.58 (with PRB).

Regards,
Joel

AS OF 09/18/10, SUMMARY OF THE THREE POLLS ABOUT PLANS FOR PRB HUNTING THIS FALL:

Flintlocks = 65%
Caplocks = 35%

Rifle = 84%
Smoothbore = 15%

54cal = 37%
50cal = 29%
58cal = 12%
45cal = 12%
62cal = 9%

Latest posts

Back