• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional PRB Hunters: What caliber will you use opening day?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow on the Roof said:
RB,
I wonder if the reason .50 and .54 are #'s 1&2 has anything to do with the fact those two calibers are what the majority of production guns are made in?

Snow

I think you've got it backwards--the majority of production guns are .50 and .54 because those are the calibers people buy.

Snow on the Roof said:
RB, I wonder if the reason .50 and .54 are #'s 1&2 has anything to do with the fact those two calibers are what the majority of production guns are made in?
Snow
CZMark said:
I think you've got it backwards--the majority of production guns are .50 and .54 because those are the calibers people buy.

Might be some chicken or the egg at work.
:wink:

From everything I've become aware of the trend seems to have slowly slid up into larger calibers over the decades...as an example, T/C finally discontinued its once popular .45cal...compressed its focus onto the .50 and .54cals and that's what they had available for quite a while...then added the .58cal on top.

:idunno: I'll be a switch hitter this yr. between my 62cal 20gauge smoothy and 45cal flintlocks.Probably start season with the 62. :hmm: Griz

I'll have my .54 flint Lyman GPR on the opening day of the late season and my .50 percussion T/C Renegade on the opening day of the early season.

I be using my just finished 40cal caplock Southern Mt. rifle. If I get it sighted in on time. Haven't fired a shot thru it yet.

"From everything I've become aware of the trend seems to have slowly slid up into larger calibers over the decades...as an example, T/C finally discontinued its once popular .45cal...compressed its focus onto the .50 and .54cals and that's what they had available for quite a while...then added the .58cal on top"

I think you are correct Roundball, I can recall the early '70's when .45 and .50 were the norm, along with all the modern do-dads to go with ML's that have emerged over the years magnumitis has taken a good hold as well.

45 cal flint round ball for me. 72 grain of 3f plenty enouf power to 75 yards

Current snapshot order of 150 selections:

.58 & .62 tied
.45 just behind

Back