• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Projectile for Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
The intent and purpose of the Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting Section is to discuss Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting, as was representative of the early American Traditional Muzzleloading Era.

What was the traditional muzzleloader hunting projectile commonly used, and representative of the Traditional Muzzleloading era?

Lead Round Ball ?
Lead Conical Bullet ?

What was the traditional muzzleloader hunting projectile commonly used, and representative of the Traditional Muzzleloading era?

You failed to identify the time period. If it is the period that applies to this forum, where does it stop? Is it the use of mls throughout the 19th century? Does the period cover the advent of the civil war style musket and the "minie" bullet. Maybe there should have been a "both" option?

Regardless of my hair splitting, I'm going round ball since it had a much wider usage over a much greater period of time than the traditional conicals. :)

I don't understand why this is a poll. Historical facts are facts, what does any of our opinions on this matter really matter? All I see here is another attempt to piss off the conical guys.

"commonly used". And so I voted accordingly. Now, having said that I've seen an original Ohio caplock, complete with mold for an eliptical ball, read that Rugby ball shaped, In IIRC ~.32. cal..
No doubt, and as discussed previously here, would be a genuine SOB to load, but never the less real.
R

Swampy said:
All I see here is another attempt to piss off the conical guys.
You might think that because that might be how you approach things...:wink: ...just like the confrontational tone of your reply.

By contrast a simple objective non-confrontational poll is just an exercise to get us thinking about it and prevent the very thing you threw down a gauntlet about.

The poll question is clear that it is about this Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting section...not the whole MLF.

:thumbsup:

RonT said:
"commonly used". And so I voted accordingly. Now, having said that I've seen an original Ohio caplock, complete with mold for an eliptical ball, read that Rugby ball shaped, In IIRC ~.32. cal..
No doubt, and as discussed previously here, would be a genuine SOB to load, but never the less real.
R

The keywords are:

"Commonly used" and "Representative"

roundball said:
Swampy said:
All I see here is another attempt to piss off the conical guys.
You might think that because that might be how you approach things...:wink: ...just like the confrontational tone of your reply.

By contrast a simple objective non-confrontational poll is just an exercise to get us thinking about it and prevent the very thing you threw down a gauntlet about.

The poll question is clear that it is about this Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting section...not the whole MLF.

:thumbsup:

I didn't throw down any gauntlet, just does not make any sense to have a poll about this to me.

representative of the early American Traditional Muzzleloading Era

Whats already been is an historical fact and no ones opinion here will change that.

:yakyak: ( we dont have a Shrug the shoulders face, so this is the only thing that came close) :haha:

I shoot both round ball and conicals during muzzleloading season so im in between the two. Everyone has to follow the state rules and have to make adjustments to be in those rules. When ever i want to use a .45cal muzzleloader ( im current missing mine!) i use a powerbelt conical to meet the weight requirement. In my .50cal sidelocks we normally will use either a conical for big game like elk and deer. Im normally the only one who hunts with round balls every other year or so. I like to try new things and change it up every year. :thumbsup:

the point. Use what you want to use and whats legal in your state rules. You cant use a round ball in every state and be legal.

A round ball in .440 is not legal in colorado due to it only being 128 grains ( 170 minimum in our state) Therefore, if you want to use a .45 you got to make some adjustments.

Kentuckywindage said:
the point. Use what you want to use and whats legal in your state rules. You cant use a round ball in every state and be legal.

A round ball in .440 is not legal in colorado due to it only being 128 grains ( 170 minimum in our state) Therefore, if you want to use a .45 you got to make some adjustments.

You might want to reread the original question. If he asked what do you use, I would have answered this poll.

But this to me means from at least the mid 1700's to the mid 1800's and whatever was used then, was used and my opinion or yours will not change that.

I do not see wht the facts would upset the conical shooters,no one is telling them they should not use them, just that many of the types out there now are high tech and much better balliticaly than most of the originals add the new type and a high tech peep and you have a gun that will perform like a single shot 45/50 cal Ruger, this is hardly traditional. I cannot see ahy it is so hard to admit that one does not shoot a traditional bullet or use traditional sights,I wear Gore-tex socks, and often use/have incamp non traditional stuff and am not ashamed to call it as such if someone asks any questions. One of those guns which we cannot talk about differs only in appeance from a traditionaly styled gun with after market sights and new design projectiles. There is nothing wrong in usuing them but it would ne much better for their users to not claim that they are tradtional just because there were minni balls in the civil war ad a flat sheet of iron with a hole driled in it as a peep sight.Logic,fact, common sense and good deductive powers can easily see the difference (the manufactures make no claim to drawing from the past with their designs. I have contacted may of them and asked) and put the right gun in the right category, Once again there is nothing wrong with the new stuff, just classify it properly.Enjoy whatever you shoot just think about respecting those who spend a lot of time researching and developing a kit,gun and accessories that are traditional to a particular period or age of development of guns and ammo.

I think the reason for the poll was probably to raise awareness to the fact that the majority of people here consider the round ball to be the "traditional projectile" instead of the many more modern mini's, maxi's, etc. :hmm:
Maybe a little of this too: :stir:

I voted for round ball & that's all I've ever put thru any of my muzzleloaders. If someone else chooses something else, I won't argue with them about it, but I will encourage them to try round balls. They have proven to be effective with any game on this continent. :wink:

I think you can consider this poll as more of a history quiz, then there is a valid reason to cast a vote

To Bald Mt. Man

I agree but would like to see some period style bullets and peeps made available as factoey issue on new guns and as after market gear on others, so those who want to shoot conicals and use peeps would have some traditional ones to choose from. I suspect the performance of the early bullets and peeps may not come up to todays hunters expectations,which would just bring us full circle

It appears that 8% think that the conical bullet was the common hunting projectile during the ML period in this form I think that is thru the end of the civil war.I would like to see the evidence that supports the conical as the common projectile for hunting during this time period, or if they are attempting inserting their own preferences into the history books.

TG, Must agree. The poll is worded as below;

The intent and purpose of the Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting Section is to discuss Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting, as was representative of the early American Traditional Muzzleloading Era.

Even the most rudementary understanding if ml rifles of the civil war and earlier period makes round ball the correct answer. Not sure if we the forum period is up to the civil war or through the civil war.

Going beyond the forum period following the civil war, I'd guess that many a .58 musket in the hands of civil war vets killed a bunch of game. But, probably not so much in the forum period

Back