• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional Wadding or homemade wadding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronblack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been looking into this for a while. I have been trying to find information about traditional (ie colonial) wadding. What did they use? How did they make it? I also wanted to know if anyone had made or used traditional wadding. Thanks.

Ron

Well, Ron, you didn't say what you were using it in. Wadding has been used in both fowlers and rifles. I use a lubricated leather or a felt wad as an over powder wad in my rifles. I have found that it improves the seal to keep the hot gasses behind the patched round ball and not letting them cut through the patches. It really tightened up my groups and improved my std. dev. of my MV from 21 down to only 7.

I also use wadding, as does everyone, in my fusil when shooting shot. I use traditional wadding and cards that I buy at Friendship. My fusil prefers only a half of a cushion wad. If I use a whole one, it opens up my pattern.

I do not know what all they used "back in the day" but I do know that some used wasp or hornet nest. They also used tow and I would suppose that they used whatever they could get their hands on that worked for them. Paper would have been at a premium and not something that they would readily use although, if they had some at hand such as a left over bit of printed material, news paper, etc. it would probably find a second life as wadding for their fowler, fusil, or other smoothbore. I don't think they used wadding in their rifles in the same way that I do but there were a lot of people out there and they came from many different areas of the world and brought with them many different ways of doing things. Then given that various materials were so limited, they would be expected to have modified the ways in which they did things to fit their situation in the New World.

Bottom line, they most likely used whatever natural materials were indigenous to the area in which they lived. Wasp nest and tow were probably the most common wadding used.

These are just my thoughts and opinions and involve no research into the subject. They are free and probably over priced at that.

I use wasp nest at times, is there any period reference for its use?

I use mostly leather wadding simply because I have a lot of leather scraps and I am a retired tool and die worker so I can make any size die I need to cut any size wadding I desire .( :surrender: Plug ,Plug, for business :surrender: )

I have seen references to the use of tow and of old saddle leather. Tow was readily available and was also used for cleaning. Leather has no strength once dry rot sets in but will still work as wadding. To use leather a punch is handy but making a punch would be easy enough for a gunsmith. Scrap felt from hatters and saddlers was available and works well. The references are all in regard to fowlers - I do not recall seeing any regarding rifles & the military used paper cartridges.

Back