• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Crocket rifle in iron

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper Scott

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wanted some input on a new Traditions Crocket rifle (not a kit) that should be delivered in a day or two. I know that they are not historically correct reproductions, so I was thinking of changing the brass to a grey or dark steel color. I use to do K&G Gunkote when I was a smith, so it wouldn't be that hard of a project. All my ML have brass and I think the change would look good. What say yea?

Well, @scottbeverly2004, it's your rifle so you can do as you wish. I have several iron mounted rifles that I like the plain look of. I can't say the change would improve the look, but it might be an interesting look.
I suppose the worst case is it looks like manure and I would have to sandblast the coating off and polish out the brass again.

I finally received the Traditions Crocket rifle today and after careful examination, I would have to agree with Grenadier 1758 on not being able to improve on the look. It's a pretty sharp rifle straight from the factory, so I'll keep the iron color project for another ML rifle.

Attachments

• Crocket 1.jpg
    Crocket 1.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 0
They're great guns. That small bore fouls up quickly. Its still the only gun I've had a ramrod with a jag/patch get stuck in. I'd fired a couple shots while hunting and stopped to run a spit patch. It took a little effort to remove it.

They're great guns. That small bore fouls up quickly. Its still the only gun I've had a ramrod with a jag/patch get stuck in. I'd fired a couple shots while hunting and stopped to run a spit patch. It took a little effort to remove it.
I'll clean the bore, fire one shot, clean and continue this regime for about 20 or more shots, then go to 5 shots if it will stand it, and do the same until I'm sure I have a good start as breaking in the barrel.

To darken the brass easily, just chemically remove any factory coating on the brass and apply cold blue until the desired tone is achieved.

Alternately, google "brass darkening solution"

I usuallly opted for a full black color.

Finally got around to working on a Crockett kit that I bought a couple of months ago. I'm going to defarb the barrel and thinking about having "JC Higgins" signature engraved on the barrel. I've got a friend that I hunt with and he is a big collector for just about anything that Sears sold with the J.C. Higgins signature. The conversation has come up more than once, it would have been nice if they would have made a J.C. Higgins muzzleloader. i know the first time I bring it along for a squirrel hunt, he's going to say, hey is that a new one? What brand is that? and I'll say, why it's a J.C. Higgins of course.;)
2016-11-20 08_10_37-jc higgins gun oil - Google Search.jpg

Finally got around to working on a Crockett kit that I bought a couple of months ago. I'm going to defarb the barrel and thinking about having "JC Higgins" signature engraved on the barrel. I've got a friend that I hunt with and he is a big collector for just about anything that Sears sold with the J.C. Higgins signature. The conversation has come up more than once, it would have been nice if they would have made a J.C. Higgins muzzleloader. i know the first time I bring it along for a squirrel hunt, he's going to say, hey is that a new one? What brand is that? and I'll say, why it's a J.C. Higgins of course.;)View attachment 161480
I looked around for a crocket kit, but midway had these on sale, plus my wife had her Midway birthday discount that was running out so I decided to order it from them. I got a pretty good deal at $450 for a finished rifle. I like doing the kit guns, but I couldn't pass up this deal.

I'm a Crockett fan and think they look very cool from the factory. Mine did a number on squirrels over the years and fired groups at 40 yards of about 3/4". At 50 yds they are capable of 1" groups if one can shoot that well.

I've never had any .32 or .36 foul any more than a .50 or .54. I also never had to wipe the bore during any shooting session; it just takes good loading practices to achieve this with any rifle. Traditions really got that little rifle done right.

I'm a Crockett fan and think they look very cool from the factory. Mine did a number on squirrels over the years and fired groups at 40 yards of about 3/4". At 50 yds they are capable of 1" groups if one can shoot that well.

I've never had any .32 or .36 foul any more than a .50 or .54. I also never had to wipe the bore during any shooting session; it just takes good loading practices to achieve this with any rifle. Traditions really got that little rifle done right.
I would have to agree that they got the Crocket rifle right. I couldn't believe the fit and finish of this little rifle. I was planning on shooting it a little today, but I'm having one of those Parkinson's days, so it will have to wait a little longer. I'll swab the barrel to get it ready for a shooting session. Questio? Is your Traditions Crocket stock walnut?

I finally received the Traditions Crocket rifle today and after careful examination, I would have to agree with Grenadier 1758 on not being able to improve on the look. It's a pretty sharp rifle straight from the factory, so I'll keep the iron color project for another ML rifle.
And let the brass age naturally. If you just can't wait, use a patch that you've swabbed the bore with and wipe down the brass. It will darken and age quickly after that.

Latest posts

Back