• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Frontier Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neal b

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thinking about getting frontier rifle are they worth getting or save up money and get better gun thanks :hatsoff:

When Traditions first start turning their rifles out there were some quality issues that had to be addressed. I have heard from others that they have corrected these issues and are now turning out some pretty descent muzzleloaders. As far as laying down the money for a Traditions Frontier, It depends on what your max budget is. Also you should buy what you want. If it is well within your budget and you have extra money, you might want to see what else interests you that may be a little better quality rifle. Not knocking the Frontier but I would explore all your options. To answer your question, I have never heard anything bad about the rifle. After exploring what you intend to do with it, hunting, punching paper at the range, and what caliber you would like to have. If it fills all your needs and it is in your price range and you are drawn to that paticular rifle, you should have it. :2 Respectfully, cowboys

going to use it for deer hunting an going to rondy want to get a 50 cal

Jethro224 said:
It'll kill a deer and work for some rondys.
If it's what you want go for it. Look around a little first tho.

For not a whole lot more $ you could get this, http://www.midsouthshooterssupply....ade-Rifle-50-Caliber-Percussion-Complete-Gun-

Or, a bit more for this, http://www.midsouthshooterssupply....cussion-Right-Hand-Rifle-Complete-Gun[/quote]
Yes! I agree with Jethro 100%! If you can swing it, I would get the latter one, The Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I own one of them and they are very nice muzzleloaders. They also can hold their own when it comes to accuracy with that 1:60 twist round ball barrel. It is also more historically correct when you go to your Rendezvous. Both the Lyman Trade Rifle and Great Plains Rifle are made by InvestArm. They make a pretty nice rifle for the money. I own three InvestArm muzzleloaders and they all are nice solid built dependable guns. Respectfully, cowboys :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know about the frontier, but some of traditions rifles are getting shipped with plastic sights :shocked2:

I would either wait to save up for one of the above mentioned rifles or search/contact Track of the Wolf or The Log Cabin Shop to get a lightly used t/c hawken or something in the range of what was already mentioned. Or you can try local deals, but you run other risks buying outside a reputable business.

Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
I do not know about the frontier, but some of traditions rifles are getting shipped with plastic sights

:shocked2:

This is very interesting, but for a company concerned about production costs and less on quality why not...? :nono:

Certainly save for a better rifle. I have a traditions gun and after much custom work it definitely has turned into a decent rifle, however you shouldn't have to work a rifle like that out of the box. If your able to accept it for what it is, IMO it'll go boom and that's about it if that's what you want.

The Frontier of Traditions rifle (manufactured in Spain by Ardesa), has a good relationship between price and quality. It's like Hawken Woodsman but with less brass ornaments. Now manufactured under the name "Ranger". It has a short stock. It is well to begin in the muzzle-loading shooting or hunting if 50 caliber for short distances up to 60 or 70 yards. Best regards.

Cowboy said:
Jethro224 said:
It'll kill a deer and work for some rondys.
If it's what you want go for it. Look around a little first tho.

For not a whole lot more $ you could get this, http://www.midsouthshooterssupply....ade-Rifle-50-Caliber-Percussion-Complete-Gun-

Or, a bit more for this, http://www.midsouthshooterssupply....cussion-Right-Hand-Rifle-Complete-Gun[/quote]
Yes! I agree with Jethro 100%! If you can swing it, I would get the latter one, The Lyman Great Plains Rifle. I own one of them and they are very nice muzzleloaders. They also can hold their own when it comes to accuracy with that 1:60 twist round ball barrel. It is also more historically correct when you go to your Rendezvous. Both the Lyman Trade Rifle and Great Plains Rifle are made by InvestArm. They make a pretty nice rifle for the money. I own three InvestArm muzzleloaders and they all are nice solid built dependable guns. Respectfully, cowboys :thumbsup:

I agree. Started with an Investarms Hawken flinter and it is a good, good way to start. It's highly accurate, solidly well made. The Lyman version looks a little more historic. Great rifle for the money, and there are plenty of them used out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind I'd wait and save a little more money. Lyman & T/C are a far better made rifle. You may find it hard to come by a T/C now since the company has been sold. Either brand is good. :v

Ive heard that so many times I just laugh at it.

They are so much better than one of them is no longer making sidelocks :haha:

I've owned them all and just ordered another Traditions that will be in tomorrow.

colorado clyde said:
Which ones ?

not sure if it is only some or all the models, but here is the first thing that popped up in my google search, it even has "plastic sights" in the specs description:

keeps auto-correcting the name of the business to the name of this forum

traditions-st-louis-hawken-rifle-kit-krc52408.html

having problems with the link. other people here and elsewhere have made complaints about the plastic sights

The frontier rifle comes with a brass front and steel semi buckhorn rear sights according to Dixie gun works catalog

I like the feel of the Saint Louis Hawken. I have one in flint and one in cap. They used to be very good. Don't know that I would try one with plastic sights as I would wonder what else they scrimped on :(

Larry

Not to be a smarty pants, but do you mean a Pedersoli Frontier? rather than a Traditions??? I only see Woodsman, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Tennesee and Crockett on the Traditions website.

If you want a Frontier by Pedersoli, you might also look at Cabelas as they have a Blue Ridge (the same as a Frontier) made by Pedersoli. I have a BR flinter in .50 cal and it shoots OK for as little as I shoot it. Got mine cheap YEARS ago in their Bargain Cave.

BUT, I would reccommend (as others have, too) a Lyman GPR if you want to shoot round ball. Good shooters, although I lean toward the .54 cal - just personal choice.

the forum won't let me post the link for some wonky reason. go to bing and type in:

traditions percussion with plastic sights

the first link should show you a $318 traditions kit that has plastic sights listed in the specs bellow trigger. also, a lot of other people have been complaining about this. I do not think it is with all their rifles, just something to look out for

Back