• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Frontier Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my Traditions Woodsman Hawken in today and it came with steel/aluminum rear sight and steel front sight.

Some do some with plastic sights but guess what? They change out easily.

Otter said:
If you want a Frontier by Pedersoli, you might also look at Cabelas as they have a Blue Ridge (the same as a Frontier) made by Pedersoli. I have a BR flinter in .50 cal and it shoots OK for as little as I shoot it. Got mine cheap YEARS ago in their Bargain Cave.

X9P6vxk.jpg

vGWhXub.jpg

My blue ridge

Not a factory one anymore. Love this rifle, tack driver and just fun to shoot. Spent a great deal of time re-building this rifle out of the box.

I had one in .45. Was a decent gun but first outing, first loading I snapped the ramrod so it always ekked on me (mental block ya know). I ended up trading off. If I get another would be .54.

I always construct a new rod from hickory. However, never once have I broken a rod. If I'm having to struggle loading to the point of potentially breaking a rod something isn't right. Yet the factory wood rod is certainly a yikes factor anyways!

Mine is indeed a .54, love it! The lock was decent despite the cock relation to the frizzen which was way off. I personally don't like to fiddle with factory locks anymore. The time involved is better spent on a good replacement which this one has. Overall, it's a dandy rifle and one that shoots exactly were I point. Good enough for hunting which is whats important to me, not concerned with accuracy from a bench.

If you want the Frontier rifle, then you should get it. A rifle has to be fun to carry, fun to show, and fun to shoot. Oh yeah, affordable helps too. If you are not sure, then I will agree with others and recommend Lyman TR and GPR. I have owned both enjoyed them thoroughly.

The Trade Rifle is at the low end end of the price spectrum for a new ML, and for the price, the quality is awesome. The twist is 1:48, a little fast for rb, in order to stabilize Lyman's Great Plains Bullet, but with the rifle's deep rifling, .010 of an inch, it will shoot rb accurately for paper punching as long as you don't get carried away with the powder. The GPR is an even better rifle, but costs more and is well worth the money.

The TC Hawken is a worthy choice in a used rifle, especially if you give it a set of iron furniture from The Hawken Shop and replace the adjustable sight with a primitive sight.

Another good option is to attend a gunmakers trade show and look at used rifles. I recently attended one and saw some really good used semi-custom guns for about what you would pay for a new Frontier rifle. Be sure to take a bore light. Good luck and have fun. :thumbsup: - John

I read all the stuff in here on the Traditions rifles, and I disagree, respectfully. I bought a traditions Kentucky kit, built it and have had mine for a number of years, and I love mine. Have nothing but fun with mine. Plastic sights, would be bad news though. Mine came with a metal front sight. Mine is lighter weight than my Lyman Plains rifle, but I won't ever part with either rile. I have to much fun with them. :grin:

Back