• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Hawken woodsman - buyers regret?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xMyStEr

32 Cal
Reaction score
At the very least let this serve as a reminder to do due diligence.

I'm waiting for a Traditions Hawken, but the more I read the more I wonder if I should've picked something different. In particular my concern is barrel twist rate - 1:48 seems to be the 'jack of all trades' twist, but I'm pretty sure after researching that's not what I want.
I got taken in by some of the 400-500 yd shots and I might be ambitious/dumb but I was half hoping for something I could mount a scope on (way down the line) and I think twist rate is going to be my major draw back.

Is it worth worrying about? Would there have been a better choice for a target rifle? I might be able to contact the store and change the order. If I have a Smith rebore the barrel to .54 1:28 is that worth while? Because I'm also half considering having a couple barrels like money isn't an issue.

I have a percussion of that model. A good reliable gun. I could consistently come in 3rd place in our target competitions with it. We have some really good shots in the club so third is as good as it will ever get for me. I don't think you are going to be using this for 4-500 yard shots. 150 is getting pretty far out. You could put a scope on it, might be the first to put a scope on a flintlock. A nice rifle and you will enjoy it if you shoot it as it was intended to be shot. If you want to enter the long range black powder shooting arena, you will be looking at a something different. I think the Pedersoli Tryon is the only production rifle that would come close to that option. Custom build is the other option.

There's a guy on modern muzzleloaders. His name is Idaho Lewis. Check out some of his videos. He's a master long range shooter. Most of his shooting is done with stock 1/48 twist barrels.

I think the configuration that would work for your intent would be a 40 or 45 with a 1:16 to 1:18 twist.

I have a percussion of that model. A good reliable gun. I could consistently come in 3rd place in our target competitions with it. We have some really good shots in the club so third is as good as it will ever get for me. I don't think you are going to be using this for 4-500 yard shots. 150 is getting pretty far out. You could put a scope on it, might be the first to put a scope on a flintlock. A nice rifle and you will enjoy it if you shoot it as it was intended to be shot. If you want to enter the long range black powder shooting arena, you will be looking at a something different. I think the Pedersoli Tryon is the only production rifle that would come close to that option. Custom build is the other option.

I probably should be happy at that kind of range, especially being new to the sport. For future reference, are there any recommended custom makers?

Unironically I think if the rifle was accurate, the scope would mitigate 'flinchlock'. But good to know it's decent for competition and I'll be happy otherwise. First upgrade would probably be an aperture and a globe.

The key to flinchlock is to focus on your sights and your trigger squeeze. If you are focusing on those things you will not even be aware of the fireball going off in your face:cool:

Shooting to 400-500 yards with a flintlock with round ball will require an accurate rifle, but depend on getting the most out of any rifle in terms of finding the best load, patch, ball, lube etc. combination. Then the real challenge is the skill of the shooter. I might be able to hit a barn at that distance. 40 years ago I might of hit the door.

Traditions have pretty accurate barrels and probably can be worked up to an accurate load for that distance. It also depends on what size target you are trying to hit.

Nix the scope and shoot the flintlock as it was intended to be fired. I deer hunted over twenty years with a .50 Traditions and its 1-48" twist. Accuracy with patched round ball up to 100 yards, my max hunting distance, was all I hoped for. The twist 1-48" was common in rifles built two hundred years ago.

Why in the world would you want to/hope to/even think it would be remotely possible to put a scope on a Traditions flintlock (or any flintlock) and hope to shoot 400-500 yards?

Nix the scope and shoot the flintlock as it was intended to be fired. I deer hunted over twenty years with a .50 Traditions and its 1-48" twist. Accuracy with patched round ball up to 100 yards, my max hunting distance, was all I hoped for. The twist 1-48" was common in rifles built two hundred years ago.
I probably underestimate how far 100 is, and I'm definitely letting my head get out of my league.

You can do some long range shooting with the 1-48 twist but you might have to use some type of bullet design. You would be better served with a good set of Vernier Tang Rear sight with adjustable diopter and a hooded front site with either the post insert of longer ranges the circle inserts works good.
We used to shoot some 200 yard matches from Cross-sticks and I used my Hawken, 54 with round ball and peep sights. It shot some very nice groups. I tried a 300 yard steel match in New Mexico at a shoot and placed with it. I did use a scope once on a 11/4" bench gun to work up a load and then installed my peep sights. There are some you tube videos where a guy with a Hawken style rifle is shooting out to 500 yards from a bench and farther. He is doing it for tests on roundball and different powder brands for his own personal info. He is using a peep sight.
600 yard shots with hawked muzzleloader

Shooting out past 100 yards is alot of shooting to get consistancy and figure out the elevation /hold over..it can be done but its alot of practice.A friend and me would shoot metal sheep in silhoutte at 200,never missing a shot with 1 in 48 using pistol sabots.Past the 200 yard mark i never tried because of the loss of energy.OH we were offhand shooters only anyways.

A spotter can really help when shooting great distances. He can see a lot of the hits and help you "walk" the shots up to the target.

Latest posts

Back