• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions J. H. Dance pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Cline

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Considering purchashing a J. H. Dance percussion revovler by Traditions. Does anyone have experience with one? Wondering how materials and finish rate and what accuracy you are achieving? I like the looks and it was made in the South during the Civil War.
Thanks.

Really like that piece. What was the real point of the "recoil shield" on Colts? To keep the caps from getting lost?

I had one...times got rough so I sold it. Boy I regret that move.! They are Sweet! nice smooth action ....couldnt want anything more!!!

GoodCheer said:
Really like that piece. What was the real point of the "recoil shield" on Colts? To keep the caps from getting lost?
Just my thoughts and no way to really prove them but because there is the possibility of a cross fire or, chain fire, the recoil shield will deflect the caps and flames from the chambers that are not in line with the hammer and barrel, away from the shooter.

Even the first Colt Petersons had recoil shields and Colt was well aware of the possibilities of a chain fire. In fact, the very first Peterson had almost all of the cylinder enclosed in a sheet metal shield.
That was one of the first things they removed from the design and I suspect it was removed because they found that having it there, entrapping the flames from the fired chamber increased the likelihood of a chain fire.

All just speculation but I think it has some merit.

Thanks for video and replies about the Dance pistol. I am saving my money to purchase one.
Wayne(Handloader)from NC.

The recoil shield is still with us today. Colt and S&W Etc. carried it forth over the last 150 years. The shield of todays guns stop the rounds from falling from the chambers. Back in the day it kept the caps from falling off the nipples. It also protected the shooter and horse from specs of hot metal left from a spent cap. I don't know about the cross fire idea. I think this is always over stated when dealing with C&B handguns.

Dixie says 22 grains of powder and a .451 ball.

They give a similar powder load for almost all of the .44 cal revolvers they list so I'm betting the chambers are about the same size as the 1860 Army Colt.

The dance revolvers omitted the recoil shields because it greatly eased manufacture of these revolvers in Texas .IT ALSO REDUCED COST & SPED UP PRODUCTION (what there was of it).

Back