• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky rifle kit build questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick search of “touch-hole alignment” tells me that an imaginary line drawn across the flat top of pan should intersect center of hole. That’s ballpark, as it sounds like there are differing opinions. Do a search and you’ll see what I mean!

Your touch hole looks high and some forward. Given that the breech needs to go back against the wood and down you shouldn't have a problem. Ideally the touch hole should be the sunset position. Centered in the pan and half way along the line of the top of the pan. It doesn't have to be perfect to work. If you get a little low you can always grind the flash pan deeper.

This will give you an idea of how to file the fore stock down to look right. one question I have is where is the bottom of the barrel in relation to the barrel channel at the breech? would help to see a picture of that area without the lock also would like to see a picture of the breech, If there is a hoe through the breech plug for that lock bolt to go through? Also is the tang straight or slightly bent? The tang should be slightly bent to line up with the wood in that area.

Attachments

• 20241001_112124.jpg
    20241001_112124.jpg
    1.1 MB
This will give you an idea of how to file the fore stock down to look right. one question I have is where is the bottom of the barrel in relation to the barrel channel at the breech? would help to see a picture of that area without the lock also would like to see a picture of the breech, If there is a hoe through the breech plug for that lock bolt to go through? Also is the tang straight or slightly bent? The tang should be slightly bent to line up with the wood in that area.

The tang has a slight bend.

20241001_140556.jpg

That gap between the bottom flat is the first problem you need to work on. The bottom flat of the barrel should be resting flat on the wood. I would take the barrel out and using a long straight edge to see if there is a high spot in the barrel channel or perhaps a tight spot along the sides of the barrel channel. Or it could be a tight spot on the inlet for the tang. This definitely needs to be the first thing you work on because as the barrel goes down the top of the breech is going to move down and back towards the wood at the breech. The tang will also move down and back slightly. The top of the barrel needs to be at least even with the wood or better if it ends up slightly below the wood at the breech. If after you get the barrel where it belongs the tang is still proud of the wood you can bend it just slightly more or file it down to be even with the wood.

That gap between the bottom flat is the first problem you need to work on. The bottom flat of the barrel should be resting flat on the wood. I would take the barrel out and using a long straight edge to see if there is a high spot in the barrel channel or perhaps a tight spot along the sides of the barrel channel. Or it could be a tight spot on the inlet for the tang. This definitely needs to be the first thing you work on because as the barrel goes down the top of the breech is going to move down and back towards the wood at the breech. The tang will also move down and back slightly. The top of the barrel needs to be at least even with the wood or better if it ends up slightly below the wood at the breech. If after you get the barrel where it belongs the tang is still proud of the wood you can bend it just slightly more or file it down to be even with the wood.

I'm hoping when I sand the tang channel down the barrel will fit better.

I'm hoping when I sand the tang channel down the barrel will fit better.
Just thought of something you could do. You don't have any sights on it so flip the barrel around and install in the barrel channel with the muzzle at the breech and the top flat used as the bottom flat. Does the barrel fit down flat in the channel or is there still a gap?

Just thought of something you could do. You don't have any sights on it so flip the barrel around and install in the barrel channel with the muzzle at the breech and the top flat used as the bottom flat. Does the barrel fit down flat in the channel or is there still a gap?

I'll try that, thanks.

Back