• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Penna rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had not handled a Trad. "Penna Classic" rifle until this past weekend. A fellow walked in to our little rondy with one, not knowing what he had--had had bought it used for $160 from a guy that told him it was real old , had belonged to his grandfather and had been on the wall for years. Clearly a made up story. But it was marked on the barrel made in Spain (no other marks or brands) and looks exactly like the Traditions (percussion)model in the catalogs. It had a nice walnut stock with lots of brass inlays, box and a looong nosecap. When he bought it it was missing the rear sight and the ramrod. It handled well and later that day he shot it well in a little competition--I witnessed him hit a gong at 100yds offhand with the Traditions rifle (.50 using 80 gr load). They retail for over $500 and I think he got a great deal--anyone else have one of these rifles?

I bought a shenandoah not the Penn. with a 1:66 twist and love the gun. It shoots better than I can and seems to like 65-76 grains. I started using the .495 ball because that is the size ball I use in my Green Mountain. Last time out at 65 yards I shot better with it than the Green Mountain.

I've owned a Traditions Pennsylvania rifle for about seven years, now. I think that it is pretty well made for a production gun and pretty P.C. for the "Golden Age" period. I have made a few modifications. I had to fix the spring that holds the ramrod in place down in the channel and I widened the vent hole a little. This seemed to increase my lock time and ignition. This rifle takes an extremely small amount of powder to prime. I have worked up a 70 grain load of 2FG powder. Based on what I have done at the range, I think that this will be a good 30-50 yard load for deer. You may think that is too close, but here in the dense woods of western Georgia, 50 yards is a long shot.

I have one in percussion, 50 cal. wish I could say something good about mine, It hurts to shoot it, the stock does not fit me at all, but it looked nice. Mine just sits in a corner, perhaps someday I'll give it another chance. :shake: :shake:

Latest posts

Back