• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Pennsylvania Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was taking my barrel out of the stock and removing the vent. I then cleaned the barrel in a bucket of hot soapy water. Dried it and then installed Bore Butter. I happened to notice this opening when I had the lock out for cleaning. They tell me the Vent Liner is taped into a bushing in the barrel. About 1/16" from the Vent is where I saw the opening.
I don't know if there is a replacement barrel from Green Mountain. I really don't think I need one now.
I did have to slowly file the front sight down to be able to shoot 100 yards.
Also, the small screw in the real sight seems to work just fine. The rear sight is just about dead center of the barrel for center shooting on a target.
I have a Match Grade Rice barrel in 45 cal that shot about 4" left when I started shooting it early this Spring. I had to move the front sight to the left and it is now even with the top flat. I thought maybe after shooting several shots it would right itself. Now, today after now shooting 1,000 rounds, the front sight is still to the left where I taped it over to when I started.
I wouldn't worry about the problem I have at the Vent. When I first started shooting the Traditons I raised the rear sight high and filed the front sight to get to 100yds. I figured if I started shooting high, I could lower the rear sight.
For cleaning now my Flintlocks, I set the butt end on a V shaped piece on a tripod and the muzzle at the sink drain. I run a small clear plastic hose in the barrel from the sink spray attachment. I do plug the vent with a tapered toothpick and then run 120 degree water all the way to the breech. I would say most of the fouling comes out. I then run a brush with soap on it with several strokes. I then run a patch and then hit it again with the hot water. Dry, dry and dry. I then swab in some Bore Butter. (If the barrel is real hot the Bore Butter will get liquid and try to run out the vent when stood up). Let the barrel cool some when using Bore Butter and have a great time shooting.
I use about 55 grains/volume of 3f for target shooting.

It looks like the barrel's pinned to the stock, and the pin holes were filled with putty or wood dough. Is this correct?

Anyone try Minie bullets? Would the 1:66 twist rate be enough to stabilize a minie? (I know it isn't historically accurate, just curious)

I make them in 50 cal, if anyone's near West Chester/Downingtown/Exton/Chadds Ford, PA I can give you a handful of 50 cal Minies for testing.

Yes, the pin holes have some putty colored filler in them. It's soft and will push right out. Since I now leave the barrel in when cleaning it makes cleaning quick and easy.

i shot 295 powerbelts out of my kentucky with 1:66 twist. 1/4" groups at 25 yards and about 3 inchs high at 50. They opened up a bit more but i cant remember how much. Seems like they would do very well in my rifle.

PA Rifleman said:
It looks like the barrel's pinned to the stock, and the pin holes were filled with putty or wood dough. Is this correct?

Yup, that's right. You can use a real punch, which is made for pushing out pins, or just a small finishing nail to push them out. I got one of those wood putty sticks in walnut and after I put the barrel back in, I'll crayola that wook putty over the top of the pins.

No need to pull the barrel to clean the gun and I wouldn't recommend doing so just for cleaning. Not a bad idea to pull it once so you can see how everything works, and as long as you're there put a coat of car wax on the bottom of the barrel for some protection against moisture that might seep in.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Back