• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Pennsylvania vs Shenandoah

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in a flint long gun but i am having a major struggle with which one. I really like the look of the Traditions Pennsylvania as well as the Shenandoah, They both have 33.5" barrel with 1 in 48" twist aside from some visual things and the obvious length/weight item they seem similar. about $100.00 more for Pennsylvania

I am planning on hunting with it but more likely shooting for fun.

Any thoughts, opinios pros cons or other suggestions would be appreciated

ok i have lots of questions, are you looking to by new? or used. also where did you get the barrel lenth and twist rate? the "pennsylvania" is .50f 40.25" Blued 1 in 66", not bad 40" barrel the shenandoa is .50f 33.5" Blued 1 in 66". both 1 in 66" so i dont know where you got the twist rate, i copied and pasted that from the traditions site. next, i have a traditions kentucky flinter, dont get me wrong its a fun and reliable shooter, but i would not hunt with it. for about the same money you can get a Lyman Great Plains Rifle. you'll be much happier. its bigger, sturdier, easier to line up your sites. just a superiour rifle all the way around.

karwelis

I have a Shenandoah I really like it. Having said that, I'd recommend you look closely at both and decide which length you like the best. That is really about the only difference between them other than a couple of pieces of brass.

I have seen and handled both at gun shows the deciding factor would likely be which one felt the best when you bring it to the eye, either will plenty for Deer hunting, sometimes poor locks are associated with these guns one can usually work over the geometry or metalurgy or buy a replacemnet if there is a problem.All in all the LGP is probably the #1 import gun at present.

I've target shot with a Tradition's Pennsylvania flintlock rifle for years. It has a lot of brass inlays and looks fairly authentic. Mine will put five shots in a 21/2 inch group at 50 yds. using 52 grains of 2f and a 49 cal ball witha pillow ticking patch. I can't comp-lain\ :thumbsup:

Thank you for the feed back, It would seem that you have more specific fact than the Ad which it came from www.sportsmanguide.com. I must admit I am a bit of a beginner when it come to the rifiling. I am trying to read as much as possible. I have also seen many posts about the LGP. I will definately investigate.

As far as new or used I dont have any shame in shoooting a previously loved gun so long as it has not been abused

Last edited by a moderator:
karwelis said:
i have a traditions kentucky flinter, dont get me wrong its a fun and reliable shooter, but i would not hunt with it.
karwelis

Why wont you hunt with yours?
They are amazingly accurate, light weight and very deadly in the field,
100_2235.jpg

"Why wont you hunt with yours?"

That pic of that big buck would suggest that the gun is quite capable of taking deer, or did you run over it with your truck then snap the shot :hmm:

i dont hunt with the traditions, cuz i got a Lyman GPR flinter. much better gun, better lenght of pull, the drop and comb are better, and it has a cheek piece. much mor ecomfortable, and i think more accurate

karwelis

Owned a .54 flinter GPR, Very nice rifle. I sold it and then bought a .54 cva mountain rifle, likes it even better!

The traditions however is easily my most favorite and accurate flinter i have at the moment. My best is an inch and a half 3 shot group @ 100 yards.
This was my 50 yard target i shot 3 days before hunting season started.
100_2210.jpg

Good thing i took note to how high it shot at 50 yards because the deer only offered me this shot,
100_2230.jpg

Ive gone through a lot of muzzle loaders over the years and the traditions, i have never considered selling. To darn accurate and nice of a rifle!

I definately think i am going to have to handle and shoot a few of these.

can't really have too many can you?

no you cant have to many, ive moved up from my GPR, dont get me wrong i still love to shoot my GPR, it just that i have an Isaac Haines lancaster .54 cal 44" swamped barrel, large siler lock, and davis double set triggers, and at 200 yards i can put my hand over the grouping. i'll never get rid of my GPR, and im building more rifles as we speak. the traditions kentucky now belongs to my 15 year old daughter.

karwelis

I must admit I never heard of the Isaac Haines

Peaked my interest, I had to look them up, being from PA originally i will research them more.

if you ever have a chance i would like to see the pic of the one I assume you built.

many thanks

"and it has a cheek piece."

Good point many of the "longrifle" "replicas seem to leave off the cheekpiece, which is a pretty important part of the gun by the opinions of most long time shooters.I had forgotten that many of these production guns had a "missing" part, I wonder how it would feel shooting one after quite a few years of having a cheekpiece.

yuckapuck said:
Hello,

I am interested in a flint long gun but i am having a major struggle with which one. I really like the look of the Traditions Pennsylvania as well as the Shenandoah, They both have 33.5" barrel with 1 in 48" twist aside from some visual things and the obvious length/weight item they seem similar. about $100.00 more for Pennsylvania

I am planning on hunting with it but more likely shooting for fun.

Any thoughts, opinios pros cons or other suggestions would be appreciated

Hello Yuckapuck,

As was pointed out by another member the barrel length on the Traditions PA is 40¼" and the twist is 1in66. I've had that rifle for a number of years and it was a good shooter. Problem with it is that it will give you a bruised cheek if you mount the rifle like you normally would. The Roman nose comb is too big and there is no cast-off on the stock. If you push your cheek hard into it to align the sights, the recoil will push that comb right into your cheek. That makes for a big bruise.

A simple thing to do is to drop your head back farther on the stock and everything works fine. You have to consciously do this until it becomes a habit. You will get a bruised cheek every time you don't.

I found the gun to be plenty accurate. It uses a straight barrel so it is nose heavy. Lean it against something (tree limb for instance) and that's no problem.

Pay NO attention to Traditions claims that this rifle has been certified historically accurate for Rev War reenactments by some fictitious organization that sounds a lot like the BAR. Neither BAR nor Continental Line, nor any other recognized Rev War organization call this historically correct. It is not historically correct, accurate, or whatever other term you want to use. That blurb was why I bought it instead of something else and as soon as I joined a reenactment unit, I found out it was not even close to rifle used during the AWI, but was similar to the highly decorative rifles made after the war. No one ever stopped me from using it in Rev War reenactments, but I knew better.

It is not a true reproduction of any particular style, but it would be considered a golden era longrifle. The golden era of longrifles ran from about 1790-1820 or so and specifically came about because there were a lot of gunsmiths making rifles and the market disappeared when the war ended. You had to do something special for your rifles to stand out from the rest and that's the era where the longrifles started using all the brass accents and decor such as are found on this rifle.

If you're looking for something to use for reenactments, look elsewhere. If you want a gun that shoots well, that one will do it. Just be sure to mount your cheek farther back on the stock or you will be hurting.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Back