• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Trapper Pistol vs. Lyman Plains Pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Bently

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone here could give me some insight on the Traditions Trapper Pistol vs. Lyman Plains Pistol in .50?

I was considering the Lyman, the Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol (both in .54) and the T/C Patriot (.45) (thanks for the information!)

I was shooting yesterday and talking to those taking part in the pistol shooting and they highly recommended the Traditions -- particularly its double trigger.

Is a double set trigger that important? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks again.

I don’t know what your criteria are for a pistol, but if you lay them all out in order of importance it should be fairly simple to decide.

As for the double set triggers, I prefer a single trigger, especially in a handgun. Manipulating two triggers in different positions usually causes my grip to slip. This can have a negative effect in accuracy especially when shooting one handed. :v

Horse apiece,, meaning the two you mention have little mechanical advantage over the other..
Now onto trigger,
Trigger break on a pistol is very important, it involves all those muscles in the hand and a hard break can really mess with control when one seeks target accuracy.

When talking about the Traditions Arms Trapper pistol and it's double trigger well of course with proper set-up it's a distinct advantage,, but those that are telling you this must not be fully aware of the Traditions Arms locks,
Every Traditions lock and All the old CVA as well as Ardessa have a screw in the tumbler that adjusts sear engagement at full cock as seen here

Untitled-6.jpg

and here,
HPIM0501.jpg

Adjusting that screw can make the trigger be it single or double break at such a light pull it can be down right dangerous.

That said,,
The biggest difference is the fit of the stock/trigger to your hand.
I have a club hand,, meaning my ring finger is a size 17, my thumb is 1" across and my little finger is bigger than my son's mothers thumb.
The Traditions Trapper and the Lyman both fit me well, the Patriot (much over-rated value) and the Traditions/CVA Kentucky/Pedersoli Kentucky don't feel comfortable but they Kentucky's do fit my teenage son's hand.

Summary;
Trigger break is important but it doesn't take a double trigger to get, fit of the gun in your hand when speaking pistols is much more important,, it should simply feel good to hold and thus point.

I have the Trapper and it shoots OK but it is a heavy pistol. I purchased it for my club's pistol shoots but after the second monthly shoot I stopped using it - it's a much better club then a target pistol :thumbsup: .

I refinished a Plains pistol and its very high quality. The sights are blocky but its a nice weapon and somewhat more historically accurate than the trapper. For my money, Id rather make me a custom instead.

ZUG said:
I have the Trapper and it shoots OK but it is a heavy pistol. I purchased it for my club's pistol shoots but after the second monthly shoot I stopped using it - it's a much better club then a target pistol :thumbsup: .

After hearing it's a great pistol for the money from people at my range I'm now hearing from you and people on THR that it's: "heavy", "clunky" and of low quality (including fake brass.) Thanks for the candor.

What do you shoot in place of the Traditions? Thanks again.

bearbullets said:
I refinished a Plains pistol and its very high quality. The sights are blocky but its a nice weapon and somewhat more historically accurate than the trapper. For my money, Id rather make me a custom instead.

Before I received the hard-sell on the Traditions, the Lyman was my front runner for sure. I wonder who makes a set of good replacement sights for the Plains Pistol -- I don't need to qualify for primatives or anything like that.

I shoot a revolver - either a 1858 .36 cal Army Police or a 1861 .36 cal 5-1/2" Pietta sounds odd I know but it works for me. I gave up on the single shot pistols.

Could someone here please compare/contrast the expected accuracy differences at 25 and 50 yards between the Traditions Trapper Pistol (50), Lyman Plains Pistol (54), Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol (54) and the T/C Patriot (45) VERSUS a CVA Optima modern-type pistol (50)?

Do they all inherently have the same potential? The reason I ask is that I gave a CVA a real workout and have a feeling for what I can and will be able to do with one. Should I expect about the same accuracy with the others? Thanks.

First we don't discuss the modern types here.

As someone with extensive handgun experience you have to understand the every gun is different and every shooter is different.
Your trying to compare an apple to a Mazda spare tire on a Wednesday during a full moon.

The key to handgun accuracy is in the shooters hands more than anything.
practice and repetition......lots of it.

I've won matches with guns I wanted to throw away the first time I shot them.

I have the plains pistol in .50. After widening the rear sight and thinning the front sight blade with a file, I actually like them. Trigger has a little creep and then breaks cleanly. Overall I am quite satisfied. Midsouth has them at a good price. I even took a doe with mine this year. When I get time I'd like to learn how to work on the lock to remove that little bit of creep, and work up a good load. I'd buy another for sure, and may yet.

As said above, the trapper is too heavy for target work. I have one in flint and it is a lousy lock.

The Lyman is not available in flint.

Imo, the Tc patriot is over rated.

I can shoot an old jukar kentucky better.

Double set triggers are a hassle on pistols.
A single set trigger on a pistol is better.

I recently purchased a lancer pistol repro made in India, smoothbore, and it came with a better trigger pull than any Spanish or Italian gun I ever shot.

silly goose said:
I have the plains pistol in .50. After widening the rear sight and thinning the front sight blade with a file, I actually like them. Trigger has a little creep and then breaks cleanly. Overall I am quite satisfied. Midsouth has them at a good price. I even took a doe with mine this year. When I get time I'd like to learn how to work on the lock to remove that little bit of creep, and work up a good load. I'd buy another for sure, and may yet.

Thanks for the insight. I agree about Midsouth's pricing.

I definitely like the looks of the Plains Pistol but I am afraid of the pistol's grip. Is it difficult to get the same handhold each time on that grip that has little positioning reference?

I realize that it's authentic but I'm not sure how repeatable my grasps of it would be? Thanks again.

zimmerstutzen said:
As said above, the trapper is too heavy for target work. I have one in flint and it is a lousy lock.

The Lyman is not available in flint.

Imo, the Tc patriot is over rated.

I can shoot an old jukar kentucky better.

Double set triggers are a hassle on pistols.
A single set trigger on a pistol is better.

I recently purchased a lancer pistol repro made in India, smoothbore, and it came with a better trigger pull than any Spanish or Italian gun I ever shot.

I asked:

CalGunner said:
Could someone here please compare/contrast the expected accuracy differences at 25 and 50 yards between the Traditions Trapper Pistol (50), Lyman Plains Pistol (54), Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol (54) and the T/C Patriot (45) VERSUS a CVA Optima modern-type pistol (50)?

I'll admit that the plains pistol grip is not my first choice in a handgun grip. But for the kind of work you would do with this gun I would say it is more than adequate. I killed a deer with mine at about 8 yards this year, and with more practice and load development I think she'd be a certifiable 25 yard deer killer. Boiler room shot, through the ribs that is. I'm looking forward to wringing out a good load once I get more time. Even thinking about a light load for small game.

CalGunner said:
I asked:

CalGunner said:
Yes, you asked and as was mentioned before the CVA Optima is a modern pistol that we don't talk about on the forum.

Although there may have been something like them before 1865, if there were, they were oddities, not commonly available or used during that time.
That is why we don't discuss them here.

You really need to define what you want to do with the pistol, having fun with it going "boom", hunting which I am not a proponent of with black powder pistols or line matches.

You might do a search on the Pedersoli site to see what is available. The Continental Dueling pistol looks interesting. I have a pair of Pedersoli Kentucky's and have been happy with them in .45. I have a pair of Pedersoli Charles Moore's in .45, they are top of the line.

I am not a fan of either makers that you asked about.

The Patriot is a nice pistol, but there are no parts available to repair it.

In line matches, smaller caliber is better.

Latest posts

Back