• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Woodsman .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sradelich

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked up my first muzzleloader, a Traditions Woodsman .50 cal; looking to change out the rear sight to a more traditional buck horn.

Anyone know if the Traditions has the same mount dimensions as a T/C? Hoping that one of the rear sights from the hawken shop will work on it.

Can't wait to get it to the range this weekend as well-- provided my son & I fill our buck tags :)

Thanks for any input.

I have that same rifle, my suggestion is to keep the sights that are on it. They are very effective (at least for me). If you are worried about being "traditional" this rifle is more representative of half stock target/hunting rifles of the mid to late 1800s where peep sights,globe sights,ladder sights were common.

Different, Metric vrs American. Traditions uses Spanish made barrels. They be good barrels an all, but metric dimensions for threads and screw holes.

First, welcome to the forum. Yes if screws are involved the old metric vs English/American thing will cause you trouble. If it's a dovetail that can be addressed with a file.

they should have one for it. my work sells the traditions rifles. wholesale sports. the rear site is dove tailed. you may have to do some filing. go easy only want to open enough to take the new sight. and if you can talk to charlett or gary at greenes/hawken shop. they know muzzle loaders I live close to there shop and ben doing bizz with them for years. let us know how it go's for ya.

srad, should you need to fit a new sight, it might be wise to file on the sight, not the gun. Modify the cheapest part.

I place a piece of emery cloth on a flat surface and have at it until it fits. A good lesson on how the Grand Canyon was made. :rotf:

R.M. said:
srad, should you need to fit a new sight, it might be wise to file on the sight, not the gun. Modify the cheapest part.

This and get the dovetail punch at TOW if you don't have one. It is short money and worth every penny. Some dovetailed sights are tapered and only come out one way. IIRC tap it out to the right side as looking down the barrel.

Bob

Latest posts

Back