• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if I am not mistaken (highly likely as I made my weekly mistake Tuesday) I believe the BS started from the "other side" damning those that are happy with an inexpensive black powder rifle/pistol. I have only a Kibler as an "upper class" weapon but I have over 20 BP arms. If customs was my priority I could afford to use my own check book and am smart enough to get away with it (SWMBO CAN be fooled).

THIS IS WHY FOLKS LEAVE THE FORUM. Unwarranted attacks based only on personal opinion/prefrerence. Thank God I was able to score a cheap cva kit at age 10 to get me hooked. Much better vise than Booze or worse. If those were not available I am afrraid my paper route money would have prevented me from ever getting started.
What's wrong with booze for crying out loud?! I happen to enjoy 2-3 fingers of good bourbon to float an over sized ice cube from time to time.

I hunt all my guns. When the Kibler SMR .40 is done it will be out there. I just need it to look nice once. The scratches are like photos of a good trip (inless from leaning on a truck and watch in horror as it slowly falls over in the road). Barb wire damage will bring back how I felt when I was sure I could get closer if I leaned it on the fence and cralwed under to stalk a bit more and.......slowly watched it fall over onto some rocks.
I read somewhere once the price of admission to an adventure is you have to lose something, break something, and get injured. Or something like that.

I read somewhere once the price of admission to an adventure is you have to lose something, break something, and get injured. Or something like that.
Sounds like my adventures with rock crawling I used to do in an old 1978 Bronco.

IMG_0185.jpeg

Crawling covers all the bases of losing stuff, breaking things and getting injured. Often all in one day.

We can't let this thread die! LOL

I finished my Frontier flintlock kit.
This is one of those kits that comes in a clear plastic shell. Well of course that allows little dings and dents to happen, so there are some small dings in the wood I missed, oops.
The under barrel rib was too short so I pinned another 5/16" on. (Weld wouldn't stick, it popped right off.)
I didn't like the fiberglass ramrod, but TOTW has 9mm diameter hickory, and I added an antler tip for fun.
Oh and I also added a small toe plate, plus made steel ramrod pipes.

Naturally my photo is slightly out of focus... :(
20230818_114631.jpg

We can't let this thread die! LOL

I finished my Frontier flintlock kit.
This is one of those kits that comes in a clear plastic shell. Well of course that allows little dings and dents to happen, so there are some small dings in the wood I missed, oops.
The under barrel rib was too short so I pinned another 5/16" on. (Weld wouldn't stick, it popped right off.)
I didn't like the fiberglass ramrod, but TOTW has 9mm diameter hickory, and I added an antler tip for fun.
Oh and I also added a small toe plate, plus made steel ramrod pipes.

Naturally my photo is slightly out of focus... :(
View attachment 245984
That is a nice looking rifle. I wonder how the new Traditions Frontier rifles compare to the old CVA Frontier rifles as far as accuracy and reliability goes.

Thank you for beating this thread to death even further. That is very nice work.

Can you share with us how the flintlock works. So many people say they don't work or have long delays.

What is your honest opinion.

Again, Thanks.
I haven't had a chance to fire this one yet, but I do have a Traditions Kentucky rifle as well.

They have some downsides:
- The frizzen spring is stronger than it has to be.
- There was a noticeable casting seam on the frizzen where it rides on the spring that should be smoothed.
- The hammer geometry is not great, although it does work if you get the flint orientation right, and play around with the leather pad thickness.

I didn't have any long delays once I got the flint right, and that was with 2Fg in the pan.

Back