• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trajectory chart

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimneye said:
Is there such a thing for smoke poles?
Unlike the fact that a Remington 165grn BTSP is a Remington 165grn BTSP is a Remington 165grn BTSP...IMO, there are so many variables in ML components and loading procedures it's almost impossible to create any meaningful, across the board trajectory charts.
Therefore, I don't trust generic ML charts, theories, or modern formulas with BL and round balls...whatever I'm interested in finding out, I go do it then I know what it is for me, my gear, my methods, etc.

And the good news is its pretty simple to get a feel for it...for example, I've decided on a deer load I was going to use based on accuracy at a 50yd target, then with that as a zero, shot a few PRBs at 75 and 100yds to see the drop...and I had what I needed to know for my type of hunting.

Other's mileage may vary...

Yes, there are some but like RB say's it's best to shoot enough to find out how your rifle behaves. I personally believe in a 70-75 yard sight-in for my deer hunting which depending on powder charge would give me a 1-2" high at 50 yard print.

I know others will trust a roundball at longer ranges than that for deer but I have formed my own opinions on my abilities with a patched round ball. I never did competitive match shooting in which a longer sight in may be prefered but again you will still need to actually test shoot to find out how each load does.

Hornady's website has a free ballistic program that will give you a good idea on trajectory with different charges and ball weights. I like to test loads and save the targets to see the changes in impact at various distance and charge levels to use for a reference.

A .490 177 grain ball has a bc of .068 and a .530 224 grain ball is .075. TC website has muzzleloader manuals that you can view which will provide approx. velocity for different charge levels. So; gather your data and plug your numbers in. I use the handgun scale rather than the rifle. The program has a windspeed variable that is quite interesting when looking at the 100 yard distance and beyond. Velocity also drops off quite quickly with the low bc round ball.

I have to agree. I have either shot, or watched other shoot lots of different caliber guns, from .32 up to .75 caliber. If you are shooting dead on POA at 25 yds, expect to be a couple of inches high at 50 yds, dead on again at 75, and a few inches low at 100 yds. Depending on caliber, your PRB is going to be losing a lot of steam beyond 100 yds, coming down through the sound barrier, No matter how fast it leaves the muzzle. That low BC pervades RBs of all sizes. At 125 yds, you can be 8-12" low, and miss a deer unless you allow for that drop. And wind movement of the ball increases as the ball slows, so you are likely to see greater wind drift out at 125 yds. too.

It nice to push yourself in practice, by shooting iron sights at those far targets- it makes you learn to concentrate on that front sight, even at the closer yardages. But, its one thing to shoot at paper, or steel Bang plates out at the longer distances. Its an entirely different matter to take those kinds of shots at live game.

Most of the experienced hunters I know will impose a distance limit that is Half the maximum yardage they are capable of putting balls on paper from a bench rest, on a clear sunny day. The limitation makes allowances for bad weather, poor light bad angles on the game, little or a poor rest position, being out of breathe and having to shoot off-hand, or just having "buck fever" when you have never had it before! :shocked2: :rotf: :blah: :idunno: :nono: :surrender: :hmm: :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

There are just too many variables. You can take 2 identical guns from the same manufacturer and load the same charge of powder and same patch and ball and get different results. Best solution is to get so intimately acquainted with your rifle that you just know. As for me I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it and that is where most of the fun lies.

I downloaded a free roundball ballistics calculator from www.ctmuzzleloaders.com that allows you to change all of the variables like bullet weight, velocity, temperature, humidity, etc. It is pretty helpful for visualizing your trajectory, but it is probably best to do some real world shooting to check the accuracy of the data.

Last edited by a moderator:
On at 25 yards, couple inches high at 50, on at 75, couple inches low at 100. Don't shoot much past 100 yards.

That works for a LOT of loads and calibers of suitable hunting power.

That coincides near perfect with my "three inch rule". I put it on my website and there is a PDF chart with the trajectories on it. Will not work out the same for everybody, but it's pretty dang close.

Here's a link to it.
The three inch rule

Back