• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Translucent horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hackberry stopper and black walnut base. I have not put powder in it. But I THINK you could tell the amount of powder in it.

Attachments

• yellow 2.jpg
    yellow 2.jpg
    1 MB
  • yellow 3.jpg
    yellow 3.jpg
    852.4 KB
  • trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    799.4 KB
Hackberry stopper and black walnut base. I have not put powder in it. But I THINK you could tell the amount of powder in it.
I have a couple like this. They are sometimes referred to as "sight" horns since you can see the amount of powder in them.

Very interesting transparent horn! To be transparent the horn must be rather thin? And might sensitive to shock.

Some oft the "lanthorn" flasks made in Europe got a transparant body too. So you can see how much powder is in it.

Transparent cowhorn "sheets" have been used for lanterns and for windows, but also for powder flasks made of horn. For this purose flat horn sheets were boiled (I read some time ago, that some horners have used hot vinager too) to make the horn flexible and then formed. The two halves of the flask body were then held together by a brass band at the seam or by small nails.

20230801_095504.jpg

Latest posts

Back