• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trappers/Hunters Tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle2

40 Cal
Reaction score
After several years of rendezvous in a diamond, I'm looking to go from a diamond to a Trapper's or Hunter's tent. Panther refer's to them as a Hunter's. I can't decide between a 7'x7' (seems small to me) or a 10'x10' which is the next size up.
I know I want the tipi style door with a fly but can't decide on a size. I've even laid tape measures on the floor to try and determine which might be best.
Unfortunately I don't know how to post pictures yet but hopefully you understand what style I'm refering to. They can be set up with one pole in the center or two criss-crossed outside or no poles and just hiost the top to a tree. I'm also leaning towards the heavier canvas that Panther offers.
Looking for advice.

-Turtle2-

You might try drawing the circumference with a water hose in your back yard and laying down the equipment you plan to keep in it. I do a great deal of modern backpacking and I know for sure, you can get along with a smaller space than you would think possible. I have a very small one- pole that my hunting buddy and I share. It requires all equipment be kept outside except for sleeping stuff. It's my personal favorite. You might also try going to the local camping store. The might not have the exact shape of the tent your looking for but I'm sure they have the size pretty close.

Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Lovland Colorado

You can make a cardboard cutout of the Hunter tent dimensions.
That would give you an idea of the size.

Just slept in one last weekend at scout camp.19 degrees out. My son-in-law has a 10by10 that he had a Amish make for him. Used panther's picture for pattern. He got the flap door and his buddy got the teppe door. We set it up in the dark at 8;30 at the camp with snow on ground. I raked snow off and got in tent and held up the pole and he staked out the corners,this way didn't have to lay in on wet ground. We usually just lay flat and stake the corners and raise the center pole. We didn't have any heat in tent but wasn't to bad. I had a 1940 army down bag, felt good for the 67yr old bones. Had 330 boys at the camp. Doing spring clean up. Off course the grandson was their, you have to support their hobby too. Dilly

Have you considered a wedge? I used to have a hunters in 12x12 and could only stand up next to the pole.My wedge is 9x9 with a 7' height and has a lot more useable space.It does take a little longer to set up,about 15 minutes.Wedges are also p/c for just about anything.

My experience;
Be sure that all the events you want to attend will allow a Hunter tent in. I have been flat out turned away because of the lack of documentation for any use of this style of tent earlier than 1820. Most of the events I attend have a 1790 cut off and disqualified me as a participant. I am currently looking to buy a wedge tent and have a 12 x 12 hunter that will probably never be used again.

Good advice guys and keep the posts coming. I have thought about the being able to (or not able to)stand up in it and I think I can put up with it. However, I haven't thought about the fly and losing the space. Good points all the way around.
How about the thickness of the canvas? My diamond was 10 oz and I'm leaning towards the 13 oz. With that being said, I was at a local sports warehouse store and they had a wall tent sent up made out of 10 oz and it sure seemed heavier than 10 oz but the sales guy swore up and down it was 10 oz.
Maybe I could ask Panther for some samples of canvas they use.
Thanks for the input.

-Turtle2-

Griz - Good point. My research shows Hunters Tents showing up around ~1820 and as late as 1840. The ronny's I attend allow these (or should) since I see several of them in use.
How did you like your 12'x12' other than not being PC for your events?

-Turtle2-

I agree with Stunmblin Wolf, I also have a 9x9 wedge tent and like it better than the one pole tents. and they only take minutes to set up. and fit right in at any rendezvous

I'll be looking at Wedge tents as well. And here I thought I was after a trapper's tent. Thanks for the advice guys.

-Turtle2-

Hi turtle,
Those fellers are right about the one pole. I had a 12 x12 and ended up hating it. So I went to a monster wedge(I still had little kids then). It did not take me any longer to set up that wedge then it did the one pole. And to be honest I cant place them anywhere before 1850. I think in the end that you would be happier with a wedge and you won't be perpetcuating another ronnyvoo myth.
wil

Thats the really bad thing. I bought it in the fall and kept it in storage till spring, set it up once just to see how well it would go up, took it down and put it back into storage. Then I found out I couldn't use it and it has never been out of the storage tub since. I really can not say how good it worked or didn't work, because I never got the chance to actually use it. and so it sits in storage. I probably should get rid of it,

Turtle I been doing this crazy stuff for near 25 years now n I got to go with the guys suggesting the wedge tent set up :thumbsup: . I've either owned or used most everything out there from a plain blanket on the ground,a 16ft teepee, to a 16x16 marquie(when the wife is along)among other styles of tent. The wedge is what I settled on some years back as the easiest to set up with the most useable room and the most comfortable to live in for several days :applause: . You can set a fly off the front in a bunch of different ways depending on terrain, wind direction etc and the fly is where you will spend the most of your time. I usually suggest for guys to spend more on the fly n buy a bigger size then they think and go with maybe a smaller size tent. Heck yer only gonna store stuff n sleep in the tent but yer gonna cook,get out of rainy weather, clean yer gun, get drunk :blah: n who knows what all else under that fly.I'd also suggest getting a "bell" backed wedge, it gives ya more storage space in the back n ya even can set a small wood stove up if yer a mind to.I saw a neat trick not long back where the fella used two 2x4s on each side of the ridge pole(on the inside of the tent), set up like a saw horse, the ridge was sort of clamped between the uprights n they went down the angle of the sides of the tent really opening up the useable space inside by taking out the normal verticle uprights in the front n back.kind of hard to describe but I hope ya get the idea, best thing is Think on yer decision twice n only spend yer money once. just some thoughts from an ol woods runner YMHS Birdman

The bell back is definitely the way to go! My last lodge was a 9x12 with a 5' bell.I had a 16'x16'fly on it making the setup 32' long and 16' wide, Talk about a dance hall! :rotf: Sadly I wore that tent out and had to retire it last year. :(

Could you help me understand what a "bell back" is. Not sure as I've ever seen one. Also, with you guys that are in Wedge's....what weight canvas are your lodges?
I'm doing what Birdman says.."think on yer decision twice and spend yer money once."

-turtle2

Turtle - after reading your initial post, I doughted the pc aspect of the lodge was a problem. Kind of sounded like the one pole was what you really wanted. With that being said - I'm glad your giving some thought to a wedge now. Honestly, I feel you'll be glad in the end (should you go this route).
There may still be some events you won't be allowed in to, due to the size of the wedge. Most wedges were smaller, shorter, military style and size.
Personally I look at it like this - just how many juried events are you actually going to attend. Don't get me wrong - for those that stickly do period corret reenacting. My hat is off to you. I've done a few that are just as strict as to how you set up your tarp (diamond).
As far as the time spent in the lodge compared to under the fly. I figure at least 75% of my time is outside. I enjoy a large fly - only drawback is .... sometimes you'll draw a crowd you may not want (it may just be the friends I keep though).
As for weight of canvas - go with the lighter (10.38 oz) weight sunforger. Always put away dry and it will last you many years.
If your wondering about setting a wedge up by yourself - do a search on this forum, this has been discussed in depth before.
It's funny - with everyone wondering how hard this or that lodge is to set up .... seems no one asks about a fly. This is the tricky part :haha: hope this helps, Wart

I doubt that I ever go back to a wedge tent. I have a 12x12 hunters tent, and it is great. 7x7 is good for 1 man and a dog, but not for much more. I use a seperate dining fly, when I use one, and don' tie it off to the tent.

As for authentisity...I mostly reinact the 1840's and 1850's, and the tent works fine. :winking:

Turtle, a "bell" back tent is one where the back end is a half circle out from the upright instead of flat across. You can get them sewn solid or as flaps like the front of the tent. Not trying to support any one web site but check out Panther Primitives or Tentsmiths for pictures. Like they say "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Back