• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trapping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eyemountainmen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It is almost time to go trapping.I got all my traps togeter and I'm looking foward to the wet cooled creeks :shake: Does any other member og trapping . I do it for a little money but, mostly for the camp. How about you?
Picture022.jpg

I love it. I like beaver,fox and coon mostly. I kept most of my hides tanned em and made stuff, some I kept some I sold. I felt it wasn't worth doing selling the green hides to a buyer. For what they had been bringing I would just as soon keepem.
Hope I get to go this year but I am afraid my schedule won't let me.
Got a little 5 year old that needs daddy to take her to school and help with home work.
Oh well maybe again some day soon.

yep love trappin have some sets out right now for coon and coyotes. will be settin some mink and muskrat on saturday, the creeks be cold here, should be furred real nice, nice cold water to wade in for the cold mornin hours.

I use to but My wife came down on that. she puts up with my hunting but whenI trapped I had no time for her cause I was trapping or skinning and what not. she about left me so I sold all my traps and just stuck to hunting and fly fishin. I sure miss it. nothing like putting out a line of 330 coni's and getting into beaver city. Back in the 80 I made a good liveing doing it.

Ya, I like to lay steel when ever I can. Got 20 possum, 14 coon, 11 muskrats, 3 beaver, and 1 mink this fall. Few less egg eatting critters to mess with the nesting birds come spring. That is my main reason for laying steel each fall. Any money I get can always be used for powder and lead.

Ten years or so ago I used to do a lot, for profit/damage control helping the Gov, trapper when he got overwhelmed with yodel dogs he sent all the Beaver complaints to me, used to get 20 bucks a piece plus the fur for Beaver and Nutria at a couple of big farms, caught a couple of hundred flattails plus otter, mink coon and rats a few seasons shoulder went gunnysacks and can't work the beam or drawknife/scraper anymore so I let it go, I think that was harder to do than any of the three wives I've split with.Nice pics they bring back some fond memories and cause me to wonder where my old trapping pics are.

been trappin a couple weeks here. not a bunch of sets but a few. ran a creek line fore three mornins and caughts 3 coons and 6 muskrats and a opposum. So total now ive got 4 coons the muskrats and a red fox my dad called in. will have some more sets out come beaver and come a warm up for coons and some for some yote dogs.

what state you live in beaverbill? and do you go scent proof, i hear now that it isnt as big as a deal anymore with these coyotes. and do you wax your traps or speed dip'em?

I am new to trapping. Most folks around here say that a coyote set needs a main trap and several other leg hold traps to catch when he is fighting the first. They claim they will chew their way out if there is not more than one trap on them. Your pictures seem to show yotes held in a single trap.

A bill backed by the Audobon (sp?) and PETA pretty much ended trapping in Massachusetts ca. 1996. No leg holds even in water and no body grips either. I could make a killing getting the beaver population back under control.

Thought about Vt but out of state license is $$$$

Are you using a #3 Offset there? All I can see is that it is a coil spring.

I use the #3 coil Offsets, 3-N's, and #4 Newhouse for Coyotes. I use a double set and dont have any problems with wring-outs. Most of the time, I have 2 feet.

Coyotes are used to the smell of people. I dye and wax my traps, use a ground cloth, and dont spit or whiz near the traps. Your hands need to be clean, not covered with the smell of a different catch, tobacco, gas or oil, or anything else that would attract the critters attention and cause the critter to dig up your set. Otherwise, I just set em.

Just wait. When the beaver are in every drainage ditch, flooding them, and are in the backyard eating those expensive fruit and ornamental trees, all thos PETA people will begin demanding that " Someone( else) Do Something". When the animal control officers tell them beaver just don't go into the nice box traps that don't kill them, and that if they live trap them, there is no place else that wants MORE beaver, as everyone has enough, Then the laws will be change again. It happens in cycles all the time like this. It just takes time for the animals to become a big enough nuisance to a lot of people, and the voters will do the right thing. The same PETA people who were against killing beaver and muskrats in the forest preserves, got all bent out of shape, when the critters invaded a local city park, flooded a walker's trail along side a ditch the little guys dammed up on night, and started eating all the trees planted along the walkway to provide shade to the hikers and walkers, and joggers. They demanded that something be done, but didn't want to pay for it. They were even more furious when they were told that box traps don't work. But, in the end, they finally decided it was best to let the professionals deal with the issue, and passed an ordinance allowing leg hold traps to be used once again. they got assurance that the traps would be set in water, to reduce the chance that someone's dog or cat would be injuried( duh!) and that the traps would be checked daily( state law already required that). So, other than re-inventing the wheel, the lovely, high-educated, and well-intentioned PETA types spent a lot of public money doing nothing. But isn't that always the case? If they had bothered to talk to trappers about why they choose to use one kind of trap vs. another, and how the traps differ depending on the species of animal being trapped and the location, they would have realized the trappers don't make any money catching your neighbor's cat, either. They don't want to be setting traps they have to check daily only to find someone's dog caught in the thing! Duh! ( Here's your sign! ) :youcrazy: :surrender: :rotf:

Back