• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trapping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beaverbill, your pics sure bring back old memories... When I was in high school and college, I trapped and coon hunted to help with the bills. My partner and I caught some of the first coyotes/beaver we had in our part of Indiana, circa 1969/1970. Our best year we had ove 100 coons,225 muskrats, 35 red fox, 10 greys, 5 coyotes and 3 beaver, and about 10 mink. I had an old fur shed on Dad's farm and we skinned, scraped, and dryed the whole kit and cabootle. We sold them to a buyer in southern Mich., for over $6,000. Back then, that was a lot of money. I don't think my ole bones would let me do that to that degree anymore.

Great pics!

maddog

Mad Professor said:
A bill backed by the Audobon (sp?) and PETA pretty much ended trapping in Massachusetts ca. 1996. No leg holds even in water and no body grips either. I could make a killing getting the beaver population back under control.

Thought about Vt but out of state license is $$$$
doesn't say ya can't use snares :hmm:

Josh

1189752917_cat4.jpg

Runner they will not chew any feet off that is just peopl talking about something they have no clue about :yakyak:

Dad has had three heart attacks and his second bypass operation at age 74 since deer season started here. He is still in ICU just now starting to show some signs that he is going to live thru the operation. I am hoping to spend some time at the cabin later when things are more stable. Figured I would trap while I am there. Man's gotta have some excuse to go sit in the woods and have what to eat be his biggest concern for more than a day or so! I am not going to be putting out very many, and I don't know much about snares. Gonna spend a week or so learning something new, and hopefully slow down to real time like I normally do in deer season.

Back in the 70's, when I was a kid, trapping was my winter job. Mostly muskrats and beaver. I don't know about now, but back then you could make a couple of thousand bucks in a season, as long as you treated it as a full time job. I remember lots of late nights skinning rats and doing homework. Bill

pv,
Good points that any reasonable person
would understand. But if there is one thing
PETA has never been accused of is being
reasonable,understanding or using common
sence.:hmm::hmm:
snake-eyes

I completed a Massachusetts trapper ed class over the summer. It was a wealth of information. Basically the animal rights ninnies have restricted trapping severely.

The only legal tool for general trapping is the ubiquitous box trap and the common rat trap for weasels.

You can use 220 conibears under a town permit for up to ten days at a specific site. Say a landowner has some beaver damage. You have to get a beaver damage permit from the town conservation commission for a ten day period. At that time you can trap those beaver at a specific location. Some towns are easier than others. Some towns want on a map where you will establish your sets.

The Massachusetts Trappers Association is working hard to change the rules by having some lawmakers change the language. No mention of the word leg hold or Conibear will be mentioned in an upcoming bill. It will use the words restraint device, etc. We're crossing our fingers.

What a state to live in. No wonder I want to move to New Hampshire once the cottage is sold.

A local ANimal control officer here gave us a fine speech about trapping and showed us pictures of the extra damage done by using the leg hold traps with the " soft jaws " which were mandated by the bunny huggers here in Illinois, compared to the use of smooth, steel jaws only. If people would leave the art and science in the hands of trappers, and get all the do-gooders out of it, the animals would be better off, and the problem animals removed. Until I hear his talk, and saw the pictures of the animals with the fur ripped out of their legs by the " Soft jaws ", ( these are normal steel jaws that have a rubber covering over them to make them " soft ") where the steel jaws, simply hold the leg, and other than some light brusing which occurs with both traps. does not injure the animal furthe, I had also accepted the nonsense that " soft Jaw " traps would be more humane. I then realized that the Lefties had once again fooled me with their half truths, lies, and diversion from true relevant facts by appealing to emotion rather than science and facts. :cursing:

Back