• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trash hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtattoo

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone else do any trash hunting?

This awesome hobby/practice started for me through stump shooting with traditional archery gear & has carried over very nicely for squirrel rifle practice.

All you need is a couple of friends (optional), some public land, your rifle & as much powder & ball as you can shoot!

You can run a points system if you like, but we don't (Soda can, 3 points. Plastic bottle, 2 points. Carrier bag, 1 point. Cigarette packet, 5 points etc....)
You walk through the woods & every time you see a piece of trash, you take your shot. If you hit it, you nominate a friend to pick it up & carry it (& you get to call him your Ghillie :) ) If you miss, someone else gets a shot. Keep going until you either can't carry anymore trash, run out of shot or get bored (getting bored may take a while)

It's great real-world target practice & it helps clean up the woods a little.

Anyone else do this?

I know where there are a few old bottle dumps that make for a good time while hunting squirrels.

We do it all the time on local beaches. No trash, we switch to clam shells. And as you say, bring lots of powder and balls.

Our game is just like archery. Closest hit picks the next target. Ever try 500 yard shots with your muzzleloader? This is your chance!

Swampy said:
Yes I do only my hunting involves picking the trash up and bring it out of the woods with me.

That's the idea; shoot it, pick it up, pack it out. Good practice & good for the world :v

In a target rich environment, I often come home with my hunting bag full of other people's discarded shotgun hulls. :nono:

High-ya Al! When we doin in some rabbits?

A zillion years ago my brother and I used to toss bottles into the Susquehanna from an old farm dump on my Grandpa's property and shoot them as they floated along. GREAT practice but not the best idea for safety or recycling.

In walking distance of my house (l-o-n-g walk) is an old shale quarry that is accessible from the opposite side by teeny-boppers in 4x4 pick-ups for partying. LOTS of happenstance targets left there.

Thats a great idea! I love stump shooting with trad bows. This would be a fun twist on that. :hatsoff:

Altho I have picked up trash every time I am out in the woods and fields, making a habit of leaving the land cleaner when I leave than it was when I arrived- a habit instilled by the members of my local BP gun club- the Tawaskote Longrifles-- I think your idea is an excellent one to get kids and others who use the land involved in trash collecting, particularly during off-season walks.

Using either a bow and arrow, or rifle would be a great way to add to the fun and have excuses to better learn how to accurately estimate range. :hmm: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Back