• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tree stand or ground?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For muzzleloader hunting, I prefer the ground. I use a very comfortable and versatile turkey chair that Roundball put me on to (same one that Bryan Beckum uses in his videos) and just sit against something like a rock outcropping, a log, something that will break my outline. I have deer walk by me very close (under 30 yards) while I sit still dressed like a big orange pumpkin and most don't pay any attention as long as I'm still. I do occasionally use a tree stand, but I prefer the ground.

For bow it's the reverse. I primarily use a treestands, and sometimes hunt from the ground.

I prefer all of the above. If I can have good views and cover and concealment I will hunt from the ground its warmer, quieter, and well easier to be comfortable. But when bowhunting or vizability sucks at ground level I use a stand, if I am new to area or state land I use a climber, if on private property I use a ladder stand. If it peeing rain outside the pop-up blind is definatly the go too..

From the first I hunted from various elevated stands and later on from both tree stands and ground stands. I've use built stands, ladder stands, climbing stands, etc; and sitting in a canvas, sometimes "hidden" and sometimes out in the open. Only this season did I finally buy a camo blind.

I killed a dumptruck load of deer by sitting on a dove stool right on the side of an abandoned dirt road in plain sight. I could see up and down and shot them when they crossed. I've killed them by walking them up and in fields by hiding behind hay bales.

I can no longer climb and my wife would kill me if I tried and survived. I'm in no shape to do anything that requires balance; I can't even walk very well. You have to be a little more cautious on the ground but the safety aspect is worth it.

I hunt from both - but the last 2 deer I have killed have been from an elevated perch (forks of a live oak tree) that seems to work great.

Today I had a little 6 pt walk by my tree perch at 20 yds - never saw me or winded me - it was near dark and even if I thought he was a legal deer I probably would not have shot - because my sights are getting harder to see in low light :thumbsup:

I use a tree stand on my farm when I am bow hunting. It is nearly impossible for me to draw on a whitetail that is coming towards me when I am on the ground without it seeing the movement. The tree stand eliminates that problem pretty well.

With a percussion rifle or flint smoothbore I prefer the ground where one can sit in relative comfort. While I have had deer come up behind me and to the side that saw me before I saw them but usually they are coming towards me. The only drawback of being on the ground is that in some terrain the wind fouls you up.

Wick Ellerbe said:
If you are shooting high from being elevated, it's because you aimed high.
Well, no gentle way to say this, but that's simply not correct.
Sights are typically adjusted while shooting level to set the elevation / rising trajectory of the projectile's path to offset the downward effects of gravity acting on the bullet at a 90* angle.
Shooting at a downward angle is less than 90* and that removes an amount of gravity from the equation depending on the angle. Without the same effects of gravity holding the projectile's trajectory down, the POI of the projectile will be higher...not an opinion, simply a matter of physics.

I am used to hunting from ladder stands and climbers, but at my age I'd really rather not climb a tree. So I got a turkey chair last year and I want to try hunting from the ground more frequently.

As others have said, you can't get away with as much movement on the ground as you can in a tree. But, it is easier to move if you don't like your spot.

I'd love to see some more pictures of ground blinds.

Ground blind most of the time for me, I like to be at eye level with them. Killed plenty from tree stands in my early days.

Shooey said:

Posted pictures of a natural ground blind I used with my turkey chair in my 2014 hunt summary. While I have just setup against a single log, tree, or rock outcropping in blaze orange and had deer walk by very close without even looking, I prefer to get into some kind of "nook" like the crossed logs in the pictures mentioned above. I have also sat in drywashes. Anything I can peek over but that oncoming deer will have a hard time seeing me, even if I have slight movements.

The turkey chair I use is one that Roundball put me onto in one of his posts. It is very adjustable to sitting positions and/or flat vs hillsides. Because it has "bars" on the ground front and back instead of just "feet" it doesn't sink into soft ground and tip. I absolutely love it. The "zero gravity" position let's me sit many hours in comfort. I see Bryan Beckum also uses this chair in his videos and comments on the comfort. I bought mine from Mack's Prairie Wings, but I don't see it there anymore, so here's a direct link to the manufacturer's website. It comes in "Hunter Green" and the new ones look a bit more padded and beefy than mine, which is several years old now.
https://www.gcioutdoor.com/outdoor-recliners/everywhere-chair.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
That depends on distance. When shooting at or under 50 yrds, from an elevated position, there will be no perceptible change in poi. At longer ranges, and high angles, you are correct. Also depends on the distance the sights are set for. I just recently killed three from a 20' perch at roughly 35 and 45 yards. Each was hit exactly where I aimed. My rifle is set dead on at 50 yrds. The OP was talking about a miss at 20 yrds.

George said:
Wick Ellerbe said:
If you are shooting high from being elevated, it's because you aimed high. You must be aware of the angle that the bullet will track through your target. Assuming you have a proper sight setting, the bullet goes where you aim it.
That seems intuitively and logically right, but it's actually not. All guns will shoot high when fired either up or down at a steep angle, and the slower the bullet, the longer the range and the steeper the angle, the greater the error. Take a look at 'Incline Angle" at this link.
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/OddShots.html

I hunt on the ground in natural cover, always. I get more satisfaction from taking them when I'm down amongst 'em.

Spence

Yes, but not at or under 50 yrds, if your sights are set for that range. Again, the OP shot at 20 yrds. He didn't miss due to angle, but due to poa at the instant of firing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shooey said:

I made this one the first year we were at our new house (2006). This doesn't show the pile of branches in front of and behind where I sit. I've actually given up on this spot as my subsequent scouting and hunting found the deer are crossing further up the hill in what I call the "Hemlock Corridor". A long strip of mature hemlocks about 100 yards wide with brush and saplings on either side. Hardwoods were logged off to either side of it about 20 years ago and the browse filled in. The deer move along the edges where they can duck into the brush if needed.

HPIM2723.jpg

Rather than make a permanent blind there I use a home made tree-seat and place it with the best advantage to the wind on the day I am hunting. Hemlocks are great to sit under because they shed the rain and snow to some extent.

Shooey said:

I don't have a photo but palm fronds make real good ground blinds down here. All you need is a machete to cut them off and stick them in the ground at the optimal height. They keep the rain off too if you hold one over your head.

Here's some growing behind my dog.

Back