• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRIED TOWNSENDS ONION PYE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the Townsend ginger beer once. If I do it again, I'm going to go about half the ginger as it had a very very strong ginger taste. All ingredients were purchased at an Amish store except the yeast, I ordered the yeast from a brewing company.
Yeah the Ginger Beer of the 18th century was stronger than even some of the imported Ginger Beer from the Caribbean. They thought of ginger having water purifying properties, so they made it strong. It only covered the odd smell of some standing waters in swamps.

LD

Yeah the Ginger Beer of the 18th century was stronger than even some of the imported Ginger Beer from the Caribbean. They thought of ginger having water purifying properties, so they made it strong. It only covered the odd smell of some standing waters in swamps.

LD
Interesting, I didn't know that about ginger or that folks thought it to have water purifying benefits.

I used distilled water to make the ginger beer, thought seriously about using the well water at the old hobby farm.

We used to have an annual shoot where folks brought food and drink. Of those who tried the Townsend ginger beer, 7 out of 10 thought it was too strong. Only 3 of us could tolerate it. Best food item of the night was bite size Pheasant breast wrapped in bacon.

Interesting, I didn't know that about ginger or that folks thought it to have water purifying benefits.

I used distilled water to make the ginger beer, thought seriously about using the well water at the old hobby farm.

We used to have an annual shoot where folks brought food and drink. Of those who tried the Townsend ginger beer, 7 out of 10 thought it was too strong. Only 3 of us could tolerate it. Best food item of the night was bite size Pheasant breast wrapped in bacon.
Mix the ginger beer with Gosling's Black Seal rum and crushed ice,,,,, to water down the ginger 😉

That's called a "Dark and Stormy". IF you use vodka it's a "Moscow Mule."

LD
Yup. I was introduced to them while vacationing on Cape Cod many years ago,,, it quickly became my favorite summertime cocktail.
Make them by the pitcherfull.

I'll probably visit the place I 1st had one after I visit the whaling museum this year. Then again, if the museum looks crowded maybe I'll have one before the museum then go back for round two after.... 😁

The "Moscow Mule" isn't as flavorful and I don't find it as refreshing or satisfying,,, but I guess that's somewhat subjective.

Back