• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trigger problem on Lyman Great Plains .54 Cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired an older Lyman "Great Plains" .54 Cal "Kit" rifle. The double set triggers only worked, when the "set trigger" is set/engaged and then the front trigger pulled. Using it as a single trigger only, the trigger will not release and thus not let the hammer fall. Has anyone else run into that problem? (When it arrived, it did not have a set screw for the double set trigger arrangement. I located a set screw and put it in.)

1729458199496.jpeg

the trigger will not release and thus not let the hammer fall.
This description is throwing me off.

What do you mean "the trigger will not release"?

Are you trying to fire the gun with the front trigger without setting it? When you pull that trigger does it come into contact with the sear arm?

This can be a matter of geometry. The trigger mechanism may be too far forward. The sear spring may be too stiff.

I've seen several GPRs that had extremely heavy front triggers. In the 20# plus range.

Latest posts

Back