• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

trigger/sear gap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My question is- will increasing the gap between the sear and the trigger on a single set trigger allow more force to release the sear from the tumbler? It would seem to me that it would give the trigger more time to generate more speed/force.

The trigger blade will be at its' maximum velocity (and thusly, momentum with force of impact) at the point the trigger spring is fully unloaded. If the spring is still loaded, the spring itself may assist in pushing the sear bar to the break.

You might try experimenting a little by moving your trigger blade up and down with a jig like I did. Pretty crude, but it was designed mostly for a DASST to find the right back and forth spot more than the up / down. The further away from the blade pivot pin the faster the velocity of the blade, and more sure the sear will trip.

With a DASST, you're trying to balance the lightest primary trigger pull, with the most reliable sear trip with the set trigger set.

DASST Jig 2.jpg

Back