• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple 7 in small caliber rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just obtained some Hodgdon 777 powder in FFG.

I am wondering if this powder can be used in a medium twist short 24" barrel 32 caliber rifle.

My intended loads would about 15 to 17 grains at most.

So the proposed load will be the above measured powder using cotton-linen patches with a .312 ball and Winchester magnum #11 caps.

Would this be a safe load for this rifle using Triple Seven powder at this grain size?

When I bought the powder I just asked for Triple Seven without remembering to regard grain size, so this is the stuff the man behind the counter got for me.

From what I understand the FFG of T7 are recommended for calibers .45 and up and FFFG of T7 is for pistols and small rifles .45 and down.

You should be alright.
One big thing will be a good clean/clear nipple. Some of the faux powders can be a bit finicky. I've learned to use a Knights Red Hot nipple but there's others that work fine too.

Thanks for the replies.

This seemed like it might make a good load using the larger grain in a smaller bore.

I think using the hotter magnum caps will possibly ignite the FFG powder a little easier also.

One of my hunting pards uses the 3f version in both his 32 and 36 because it's a little more accurate for him. Many are the snowshoe hares who have regretted his choice of powder.

I'd say try the 2f and see what's what. The stuff is so clean burning I'm not worried that you'll have any fouling issues.

Although the finer powder is usually what's recommended for small bore guns like the one you plan to use it in, it should work all right.

Like Brown Bear says, T7 is a clean burning powder so fouling shouldn't be an issue.

I do recommend that you do some target shooting to see if all shots are shooting to the same point of aim.
Powders like T7 usually like fairly high breech pressures to burn consistently and your 15 grain powder loads might cause some variation.

If it is shooting small groups on the target you should be good to go.

If the shots seem to be open or random, be sure to check your fired patches.
T7 has a reputation for burning patches but that's usually with heavy powder loads.

When I first got my Crockett .32, I loaded 20 grains of 777, and it worked just fine. It makes less noise than a .22lr, and is so quiet that you can hear the hammer strike the cap. Keep yer powder dry........robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back