• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trophy hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I think that horns and antlers were valuable for prehistoric man. Antlers were used for many things including a tool for fashioning flints for arrowheads. Horns probably were less utilitarian but still a good score.

Prehistoric man was almost the same as us. They were jealous when some other guy tried to get familiar with their womenfolk and I'm sure they were proud when they killed a big animal with large horns/antlers.

The best hunter in the clan was very valuable. He provided food for the whole group when he was successful. This probably led to a higher status and maybe it determined the leader/chief of the group. To maintain this leadership and importance, he probably displayed "trophies" that reinforced the fact that was essential to group.

More power to him!

I think there is a difference between a "trophy hunter" and someone who appreciates a nice set of antlers but doesn't forego shooting other animals while waiting on a mature specimen, or a person who significantly "handicaps" himself on equipment choices vs an "anything goes" hunter. Nothing wrong with either form of pursuit, but different.

While I'm sure that cave men, and through time most hunters, appreciated a mature specimen because it provided more meat, a larger hide, heavier bones and larger antler or horn for tools, and maybe even "bragging rights," I think they shot whatever they could get with the most "modern" tools of their day, and appreciated all of the kills for whatever they provided. When your very life, and those of your family or clan, depended on it, successfully killing anything is what mattered.

Once we no longer needed to hunt some hunters, found additional challenge and more time and enjoyment afield by being selective in what we decide to kill. That means passing on animals that have not yet reached maturity (eg: minimum 4.5 y.o. for whitetails). It may also come in the form of substantial limitations like traditional guns and bows. Many times it means not killing anything even though the opportunity to do so, or it would have with modern equipment, happened many times during the season.

I kind of like the term "selective hunter" because I think that means foregoing the easiest route be that by limiting technology or pursuing only mature specimens or both.

I think that in the span of human existence it is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Back