• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trouble getting new fowler clean

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finished up my new fowler yesterday and fired it one time. cleaned the barrel the way I do my rifles several wet patches several dry patches then a patch soaked in bear grease. I always go back the next day with another grease patch just to be sure everything is good. I ran a patch through the fowler today and it cam out real dirty. I started running solvent patches through it and after 20 or 30 patches it is still not 100% clean. I finally gave up and ran a patch soaked in rem oil. It does not look like BP fouling and now I am wondering...... Does the lead shot leave a residue in the barrel? Maybe I will search for a 16 gauge brass brush. Looking down the barrel it looks clkean but I know it is not

HELP!

Attachments

• IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
In fifty years I’ve never got a patch to come out virgin white. I use fill the barrel and dump and repeat method. I’m OCD about cleaning, and check my guns regularly. And always get a little gray.
I use mink oil and gun oil mixed to oil my barrels and mink oil oxidizes brown looking like rust, spent years trying to get that out.
I learned not to sweat the small stuff,
Still hard, did I mention I was OCD about cleaning

That's a lot of cleaning patches!
I shoot my smoothbores a lot and yes they can take more work to clean than rifles. But not that much.
First remove the lock and ramrod. Then stick a toothpick in the touch hole, pour water (soapy warm if you wish) and thumb over the muzzle, turn upside down and back again, swishing a few times. Pour out and repeat a couple times. Turn it upside down and lean it against a wall or table, securely, and let it drain while you clean the lock.
Then go back to your fowler and use Windex on a few cleaning patches.
It takes twenty minutes max.
You will be happy.

I shoot my smoothbores a lot and yes they can take more work to clean than rifles. But not that much.
First remove the lock and ramrod. Then stick a toothpick in the touch hole, pour water (soapy warm if you wish) and thumb over the muzzle, turn upside down and back again, swishing a few times. Pour out and repeat a couple times. Turn it upside down and lean it against a wall or table, securely, and let it drain while you clean the lock.
You will be happy.
Thanks

Finished up my new fowler yesterday and fired it one time. cleaned the barrel the way I do my rifles several wet patches several dry patches then a patch soaked in bear grease. I always go back the next day with another grease patch just to be sure everything is good. I ran a patch through the fowler today and it cam out real dirty. I started running solvent patches through it and after 20 or 30 patches it is still not 100% clean. I finally gave up and ran a patch soaked in rem oil. It does not look like BP fouling and now I am wondering...... Does the lead shot leave a residue in the barrel? Maybe I will search for a 16 gauge brass brush. Looking down the barrel it looks clkean but I know it is not

HELP!
Bare lead shot will lead the barrel. My black powder shells with no shot up lead my breech loading shotguns. I use hoppies and a brass brush on a shotgun cleaning rod. Do not use the ramrod.

This is my modified skychief muzzleloading load that has a 1/2 inch olive oil soaked wad on top of wad column.

Attachments

• A0E9E723-279F-455A-8443-4B1237390F19.jpeg
    A0E9E723-279F-455A-8443-4B1237390F19.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I have a harder time cleaning my smothbore than my rifle.. They get filthy.
Just clean it the best you can and call it good. I know it can drive some mad, but its just a gun....

You will be happy.
Have been using Windex for 25+ years, I just don’t know why other people don’t use it. In between shots at the range for a fast clean out works wonderfully.

The gray is graphite used to coat the powder these days. I use the water (cool) swish method referenced above. Never had leading issues EVER. I also use tow instead of patches. Lube with Ballistol.

Back