• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tulle cheek replacement save me a blackeye

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowkill

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got back from shooting my tulle 20 gauge and i must say i dont think i can take much more abuse. The thing is busting mt cheekbone. I shot it about 10 times and it is not to bad standing up and shooting , but sit in turkey hunting position and i seen stars more than once. Dont know what to do with turkey season less than 6 weeks away... :idunno:

i thought about that but it will be hard to match the stain as i used several colors. Here is the gun , do you have some examples.
DSC_8974.jpg

Well I know you don't want to hear it and it will probably make ya cry but theres no sence shooting a gun that doesn't fit you, just no fun. So you can either work on the butt and try to match things up or strip the entire gun and start over with stain/finish after dealing with the butt.

I avoided this with the ones I built by taking them all to the range one time while in the white. That way if any problems cropped up I could deal with it before finishing the gun.

NOW YOU TELL ME!!! I am heart broke. Guess i will work on the butt or or sell her and start all over. Anybody looking for a tulle...lol :(

never match the stain she will be in the classifieds... :barf: makes me sick...

bowkill said:
never match the stain she will be in the classifieds... :barf: makes me sick...
Don't feel too bad, I have never shot any of the fusil de chasse guns on the market today that didn't whack me under the cheeck bone.
I'd just scoop out a place for my cheeck to lay and refinish just that area. You'll be surprised how close you get to the finish if you fiddle with it a bit.

When I put mine together I fired it in the whit to find the placement of the front sight and check the fit of the buttstock sometime it takes surprisingly little to get the fit, guess it is a bit late for this info, sometimes the sight position is what forces you "into" the stock so to speak, these pre-carves hav a lot of extra wood to work with, it is worth changing even if you have to refinish/stain the stock, one can also alter shooting positions in relationship to the cheek and stock at times, I find it best to try and get alongside and further back rather on top of this type of stock. Looking back at your gun pics it looks like the buttstock is flatish on top mine ended up comming up to a rounded narrower top, it is really not that much of a job to strip the wood and rework it I have done this with several used guns that needed some wood removed or were not quite as I wanted them to be.

I have a centermark tulle, makes my eyes water everytime I pull the trigger. On the plus side you built a beatiful gun that should sell well. Chris

I have heard that in the ye olden times they shot with more of a head up position which might explain the stock shape. I am afraid I am to set in my ways to change how I hold a gun though. Chris

Remembering back..... try moving your head back on the stock some. Always helped not to creep up on those guns for me.

Mike Brooks said:
Take a rasp and remove the offensive part of the comb. You see this alot on old guns.
Back when ol' Curly Gostomsky (NorthStar guns) was still with us, his personal Trade Gun had a big hollow hogged out of the stock comb to fit him.

may fiddle with it, because i love the gun and it showed some potential at 40 yards with number 5s. decisions! decisions!

Ya know worst comes to worst, you do have plenty of time to completely strip it and redo the whole thing if you can't match the area you need to fix. I wouldn't give up on it yet.

i woukld strongly agree it is worth saving and after looking at the pics again it really looks wide on top of the stock tapering this may give you what you want, it might allow you to get behind the barrel without getting ontop of the stock maybe it is just the angle in the pics I am not sure, but you might not have to cut a gouge but just "shape" the stock better so it taperes in at the top more, as I said they leave a lot of wood most everywhere on these precarves, When I shoot mine the stock kind of slides past my cheek just a bit, good luck whatever you choose.

This why shotguns have Cast-off( cast-on for lefties) and why you don't see a lot of those "Roman Nose" comb shapes on shotguns.

Choices:

You can reduce the powder charge you are using, and thereby reduce the amount of recoil.

You can move your head back, and see if that doesn't help.

You can file down the comb and do your best to refinish- or simply strip the stock down and re-finish the entire stock. Now that you know how to do it, and what it looks like when finished, it will take you HALF the time.

Your choices are not as bleak as you think.

My Wife's Father had a beautiful Parker double barrel 12 gauge shotgun that was "dished out" on the comb to fit his hold and face. The gun went to his youngest son, who didn't want to change it. I told him that what he had was NOT done at the factory, and that while he might want to keep the butt stock as an "heirloom" to go with the gun, he should consider having a new buttstock made to fit him so he could shoot the fine gun. That son was only 2 years old when his father died, and the only memories he has are from pictures, and that gun. I didn't blame him for not wanting to alter THAT stock. However, a new buttstock made for him would cost him next to nothing compared to value of that shotgun, and would give him years of use- with the option of returning his father's stock to the gun any time he wished. The replacement stock would actually make the gun more marketable if he chose to sell it one day.( He has no children.)

Latest posts

Back