• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tulle cheek replacement save me a blackeye

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think i will just work the hump down and thin it up what i can, if i need to refinish the whole gun, :thumbsup: so be it

I always figure that it is going to take me a year to learn all the tricks of a new gun. Do what you need to do to make it shoot and not hurt and then worry about how to make it pretty.

Many Klatch

Well said! I think you'll be happier that you did rather than selling it. :thumbsup:

Consider what Mike said above about hollowing out the cheekpiece. Try to find a Pic of the Comb on the Pedersoli 1777 Charleville - it has the cheekpiece hollowed out, and it points and shoots like a dream - can and do shoot 40+ rounds a session - Pain Free...

Eric

tg said:
i woukld strongly agree it is worth saving and after looking at the pics again it really looks wide on top of the stock tapering this may give you what you want, it might allow you to get behind the barrel without getting ontop of the stock maybe it is just the angle in the pics I am not sure, but you might not have to cut a gouge but just "shape" the stock better so it taperes in at the top more, as I said they leave a lot of wood most everywhere on these precarves, When I shoot mine the stock kind of slides past my cheek just a bit, good luck whatever you choose.
I noticed the chubyness of the buttstock right away too. These guns were extremly slim in the butt. Narrow the buttstock down first, on both sides. Then take it out and shoot it to see if it helps. Also at the same time see if you can take some off the comb too. These de chasse guns on the market today have a somewhat exaggerated roman nose anyway. Take a look at some of the fowlers on my website, this may give you ssome idea of how skinny they ought to be. :thumbsup:

At the risk of repeatintg myself this would be a good time to check the position of the front sight, this placement can effect how you have to "mount" the gun and I will really stick my neck out and suggest steel wooling down the metal parts to a greyish tone to get into the mood of what the originals looked like if this is of any concern, this is just an option to take the gun to a more HC/PC level, no flame intended.Either way you will have a nice gun for hunting.

As you get closer to the end I find concave and or convex scrapers work real well, I pretty much used rasps and various scrapers for the Fusil I did , it shows in the finish where I made not a concentrated attempt to fill the grain the typical way but did this by burnishing. I suspect it may look closer to the way the originals did, I was not trying for a baby bottom smooth finish, anyway, good luck, and enjoy, you will have a nice gun when finished.

No reason to get in a hurry. Work the stock down and don't make it pretty. Sit in the woods and look at it and figure out if its ready for the finish. Turkeys don't mind being shot by ugly guns any more than pretty ones. :grin: Larry Wv

bowkill said:
Just got back from shooting my tulle 20 gauge and i must say i dont think i can take much more abuse. The thing is busting mt cheekbone. I shot it about 10 times and it is not to bad standing up and shooting , but sit in turkey hunting position and i seen stars more than once. Dont know what to do with turkey season less than 6 weeks away... :idunno:

There is a valid reason why the English stocks are designed as they are.
The Tulle is a poor stock design.
You found this out the hard way.
Dan

Bowkill, I would not give any consideration to any notion that this is a poor stock design, it was widely accepeted and worked well for many people NA/Whites for probably 75 years, todays problem mostly are a result of not closely following the shape/style of the originals ie to much wood, ths style was mirrored to a degree by some of the later gun schools, mostany butstock design can be a problem if not properly done.

. I think it's a combination of two things. Too light of a gun for the charge used and the technique used when shooting it. I think the gun was intended to be shot like a one would shoot a shotgun with lots of drop at the comb. You do not put your face tight on the wood if you expect to kill something while flying..I know you want to hunt turkey with it but I'm afraid the stock design does not lend itself well for the modern techniques we are accustomed to.

If I were to shoot that gun I would keep my cheek well above the stocks comb. In fact I would shoot it with my jaw bone slightly over the comb. Then again I could be blowing hot air.. :wink:

Twice

tg said:
Bowkill, I would not give any consideration to any notion that this is a poor stock design, it was widely accepeted and worked well for many people NA/Whites for probably 75 years, todays problem mostly are a result of not closely following the shape/style of the originals ie to much wood, ths style was mirrored to a degree by some of the later gun schools, mostany butstock design can be a problem if not properly done.

Further I would point out that the pitch of the butt is so far off on the typical Tulle as to be laughable. Rather than spreading the recoil force it concentrates it at the heel of the buttplate. The steep angle can also cause the butt to slide up the shoulder under recoil.
If you LIKE Tulles you like Tulles. But the stock design leaves a lot to be desired.

Lots of old guns, and modern ones, have poor buttstock designs including a significant number of original Kentucky's. But the Kentucky's were seldom in 20 bore and the recoil was far less especially in the guns after the Revolution so it was often not a factor.

Poor design: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/cate...um=FRENCH-TULLE-FUSIL-DE-CHASSE-42-PARTS-LIST

Good design: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...catId=12&subId=78&styleId=266&partNum=AAI-982

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure see the difference. I am thinking of changing the butplate to something like the second picture. I need to shorten the lop anyway. Do you guys see a problem in something like that.I dont worry as much of pc as i do of gun fit.

what plate do you recommend. I am already working on taking the hump off. think i will get a butplate before i keep working on it.

Dan, I agree with you that this style of stock is a poor design for functionality. The heel, toe and combline on these guns are designed so as to bring the recoil of the gun right up your nose.

Latest posts

Back