• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tulle Kit has arrived.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
" it would be extremely useful to know the bore sizes as well.'

normaly these guns were made to shoot a ball of 28 to the Lb.(French) 26 to the lb English which is a ball of about .562 and the bore size would be from .577-.623, this info is in Hamiltons book on Colonial guns.

Mowrey50 said:
BARREL & FORESTOCK: Not being sure which Tuelle or era you were attempting to re-create, most I see have the forestock end before the barrel and have a trimming of the stock near the muzzle too. I could post some pictures if you need references.

Since this kit comes from Track of the Wolf, it is sold as a Tulle Fusil de Chasse, which implies the smaller calibered, thus lighter weight arm than the military versions. They offer a "C" and a "D" version, with "Fin" options. From what I've read, a de Chasse stock ends at the muzzle, or pretty durn close to it. Heck yeah! Posting pix would be great, and it would be extremely useful to know the bore sizes as well.

Mark[/quote]

Mark, you are correct in that these guns were originally built with the stock coming out to the muzzle.There are two factors to consider: first,at least 50-60% of original Fusils de chasse {hunting muskets} have been restocked during their period of use and I may be conservative here; second, many stocks were shortened at the muzzle to allow easier pulling of the rammer.
You mentioned the so called Type C and D guns sold by TOW. These are simply Fusils fin de chasse guns and Track offers their kits with an R E Davis Jaeger lock which is incorrect.The kit can be bought without a mortice cut for a lock and either a R E Davis Tulle lock or a L&R lock will work.The only kit I can really recommend for a Fusil fin de chasse is the R E Davis fine fusil kit {not the Type D kit} with the 48" barrel with a sighting rib by Ed Rayl.

There appears to be two distinctly different butt configurations on these guns. Virtually all the Fusils de chasse have the Pied de vache or sheep's foot pattern such as yours.The Fusils fin de chasse seem to have a straighter butt with less drop.I am beginning to believe that many if not most of the Fusils fin de chasse were actually made in Liege and transhipped to the French for distribution in Canada and Louisiana.There are two of these brass mounted staight butted Fusils fin de chasse extant which came out of New England but which are definitely Liegeoise guns.I also think that the iron mounted Fusils de chasse were sent primarily to Canada with brass mounted guns going to Louisiana due to the climate.I think there were a few brass mounted Fusils de chasse with pied de vache butt configuration in Canada but they were quite rare.
The gun you are building looks much better now and if it were mine I would let the metal {barrel and lock} age naturally. I did that on a Gilgun English fowler after about a year of reenacting and it really looks great now. I still don't understand the double ringed barrel on a French Fusil de chasse,I don't recall any mention of such a barrel on a French trade level gun although a Bourgeois gun might have such a barrel.You should have a lot of fun with that gun.
Tom Patton

tulle017.jpg
tulle018.jpg
tulle019.jpg
tulle020.jpg
tulle022.jpg
tulle023.jpg

I still have a lot of cleaning and polishing to do.
Just wanted to hurry and get these pics up for everyone to check.Not sure about the ramrod length.
Ive made a lot of mistakes,my enletting is pretty bad.But Ill learn from my mistakes.
If not for everyones input I could have never done this project.
Thanks everyone.
Tom.

"Mark, you are correct in that these guns were originally built with the stock coming out to the muzzle'

Bouchard mentions at least twice that the stock stops short of the Muzzle in his detailed specs. discriptions?

Is the leather thing on the buttplate for a sling?

Hi tg.
I put it on to protect the butt plate when it is on the ground.
Just worried about scratching and denting it.

You are doing a good job, especially for your first gun, congratulations on a job well done and your ability to take helpful suggestions.
As far as the leather cover on the gunbutt, I have noticed this in past photos of some of your collection and I can't help but wonder if it is not doing more damage than good? When I was a kid back in the '50s the lace on leather recoil pad was a big fad for shotguns and if left on for a long period they invaraibly caused damage to the finish on the stock, especially if the leather got wet or even damp. Mildew, finish bubbleing, etc. I would make it a removeable item to be used only when the gun is out in the woods or at the range. Please don't take wrong, I do applaud your effort to protect your guns, but from personal past experience I'm afraid you may be doing more harm than good, especially if using a natural, oil-based finish.

Hey tg, well, I was attempting to recall from memory (a dangeous thing!), but I did add "or pretty durn close to it" immediately after my comment, since I wasn't 100 percent sure.

And I made another goof. When the good Mr. Mowrey50 wondered which tulle or era that 82 airborne was attempting to create, I knew it was the "C" from TOTW. Unfortunately, I called it "Tulle Fusil de Chasse" (hunting gun), when I meant to say "Tulle Fusil de Traite", or trade gun, which is what Hamilton attributed the C & D designations to. But yes, they too were apparently of the smaller bore like the de Chasse.

Actually, I was aware of what the bore size should be. I added the comment about posting bore sizes so we the participants could discern that the images were, in fact, not from military arms. Sorry I didn't make that clear earlier.

Mark

O.K, so on closer inspection, it looks like the de Chasse after all, and not the "C".

Hmmm”¦there doesn't appear to be any falling-on-your-sword icons available.

Mark

Hi TP.
Thanks for the info.
Didnt think about the damage but I agree with you 100%.
Ill keep them off unless Im in the field.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

I have a Tennessee Poor Boy- style, long rifle that has no buttplate at all. I protect the butt by putting it down on the top of my foot when I am resting the gun, or simply by laying the gun down on the ground on its side. Standing a gun on its butt anywhere is a dangerous, and unsafe practice( even if it just promotes a bad habit), as you will eventually do that with a loaded gun. Then the gun will fall down when a gust of wind hits it, and it may just fire. Guns that are laid down on their sides on the ground have no place to fall. I think I have a couple of scratches on the butt for all the years I have owned it, and used it hunting deer. That is probably fewer scratches than already exist on the rest of the stock.

That steel buttplate is there to protect the endgrain of the stock, and take a little abuse. Its very easy to touch up bluing or browning, or any other kind of finish on a metal buttplate compared to repairing wood. My gun does have a heel cap of antler, and a toeplate of steel that is browned, but their is no buttplate.

"Hmmm”¦there doesn't appear to be any falling-on-your-sword icons available"

those are not needed, there is a lot of stuff to consider in these and other guns and none of us hit it 100%, and there are likely subtle variations as all were made one at a time,BTW there would not likely be a Tulle dr traite as there were no trade guns made in Tulle these would come from leige or St, Ettiene, I think there are also probably 6 or more "grades" of fusils we typivaly only talk of two of three this is a topic that the more you learn the more there is to learn, Bouchards book is a very good source for the guns from Tulle, Hamiltons book is good but written from the perspective pf an archeoligist not a gun historian which does create some confusion on some issues at times, particularly the C/D thing as being a type of gun.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the info and all your assistance with this project.
Without you,tg,Mike Brooks,DVLMaster,and all the other guys that contributed there knowledge and experience, I could have never completed this project. :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Hi Mike,
I removed the leather, Thanks for the info.
I wasnt sure if I was suppose to file the tang or not.
Saturday I chiseled out a little wood under the tang. That helped a little.Then I filed the tang down some.Looks a lot better. I shortened the ramrod about 1/2 inch. It was getting burnt really bad from the muzzle blast.
Thanks Mike for all your input. :hatsoff:

Back