• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turbo Carver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L.B. Myers

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am wondering if any of you have experience with the Turbo Carver. I've been reading Bill Janney's book on gunstock carving and he lists the Turbo Carver.

In his book, he demonstrates fish scale carving and basket weaving style. I have not found referance to these types of carving on BP rifles. Can any of you tell me if these types were used in the late 1700's-1840's?

His techniques look sound just don't know about the styles.

I am new to power carving and was hoping to find someone that's tried it.

Thanks in advance

L.B.

Got one several years ago for carving eggs. This type of handpiece is miles above using anything like a Dremel or Foredom tool (of which I have several). Virtually no vibration. But you do have to take care and keep them oiled with turbine oil. There are several similar brands out there. I think one may even be advertised as oiless. You can run them off of most any compressed air (or CO2) source. I use both a little hobby compressor for air brushes or my large shop compressor with an inline regulator and filter. You can actually sign your name on a piece of glass (or anything else) an it will look the same as if you wrote in pen on paper.

Roger Petrella
Franktown, CO

Back