• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey aim point with .36 roundball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those that have successfully taken turkey with small caliber rifle, where is the best place to anchor a turkey? I plan to hunt with the .36 in March.

I had a new custom .54 made for me last year and I couldn't wait for deer season to use it so I worked up a light load and asked the builder what his thoughts were about aiming point on a turkey since he's killed lots of birds with a round ball. He suggested that I shoot at the hip joint to completely avoid any breast meat loss, so I did it. I hit a bird broadside through the hip joint and he simply dragged himself around by his wings for a second or two and then it was lights out. The damage to the drumsticks was even minimal.

I can't say that the hip joint is the best shot but it certainly worked last fall for me.

With a Bow I try to hit the middle of the bird and miss the breast. Have killed three that way. Don't go very far. With a .36 I would do the same. Can't hit them in the head anymore :( Larry Wv

larry wv said:
With a Bow I try to hit the middle of the bird and miss the breast. Have killed three that way. Don't go very far. With a .36 I would do the same. Can't hit them in the head anymore :( Larry Wv

Yep! What Larry said! The first turkey I missed with a bow was due to hitting too far forward (breast) - it's not like the vital zone of a deer...

(That was a great hunt but all I got to show for it was a handful of feathers!)

Hope this helps: :thumbsup:

turkeyanatomy.jpg

Centering the bird is great advice and I have been mind full of where the base of the neck is also.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Back