• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

turkey down in tn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowkill

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My first turkey with a homemade flintlock, and it was the heaviest turkey i have ever killed. It was opening day and i was very eager to hit the woods before daylight. I heard 4 gobblers that morning and ended up getting set up on two of them, but they had hens all over them and bumped one trying to get in front of it. I had been spending the last 2 nights at the hospital with my son [who is fine now]so as you imagine i had had very sleep. so i ended up going home and figured i would return in the evening to hunt.
Well after waking up i thought i had messed up and killed my evening hunt because it was 3 o'clock and it takes me about an hour to get where i hunt. I was easing through a gap that separates the front field and back field and i caught a glimpse of something moving and i was a flock of hens. SO i sat down beside the road and waited for them to come to me hoping a gobbler would be in the rear, but they were alone. I waited for them to pass so i could head to the back of the field. When i got there i was heading into the woods when i spotted two hens scratching around in the bottom of the holler. When they could not see me i eased to the break of the hill just far enough so they could not see me. I thought they were alone but is was some very loud scratching and now i knew why. i counted at least 15 hens and in the back i caught a glimpse of a strutting gobbler.It was kind of thick where i was going to shoot, so i picked out a hole through the brush where i thought my pattern would slide through. He made it to my shooting lane but he had his fan to me and was going to walk on by so i took a chance and gave a cutting call and he instantly dropped out of strut, and turned toward me and went back into full strut. had all i could take! pulled the trigger and he was doing somersaults down the hill.
When i seen he was done for i steeped off the distance and got 42 steps. That was about 12 more than i was thinking it was.One of the most exciting hunts i can remember, and i usually tag out every year. It was a nice one, weighted 24.2 , had a 10.5 rope, and 1\18 spurs
DSC_9128.jpg

DSC_9121.jpg

DSC_9132-Copy.jpg

DSC_9138.jpg

DSC_9139.jpg

DSC_9134.jpg

hey swampy, did you notice the bag?

Cool! I hope to someday experience this thing called turkey hunting my self! :thumbsup:

Glad your son is ok. :thumbsup:

bowkill said:
My first turkey with a homemade flintlock
That's a heavy bird for sure...sounds like you're lucky to have a good place with a lot of birds...good hunt, good story, congratulations !
:hatsoff:

Dang! :shocked2:. I don't hear of that many birds around here come out to weigh that much. But right now is the time to get a heavier bird since all the chasing of the hens hasn't made them lose weight. Nice bird and gun :thumbsup:.

It is a 20 gauge, colerain barrel. Shooting 75 grains of fff with a 1\2 inch over powder wad, and 120 grains of 5 shot. 2 over shot cards. oyea by the way that barrel is as rough as a night in jail and almost impossible to clean. Wish i had noticed it before i built a gun around it. It is judged choked

Outstanding Bird! :thumbsup:

While at work today, I saw 4 Toms duking it out for 1 hen.
Never seen Turkeys fighting before. Feathers and hooks a'flyin.
I'm primed!

Latest posts

Back