• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Hunt Preparation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I know it's still winter but I'm getting anxious to work on loads for my 20 ga fowler. I've decided to spend some time with it and see if I'm going to need to jug choke it. I printed off some turkey head targets and contact cemented them to 24"X 24" cardboard sheets so I can analyze the different pattern tests. If it's fairly nice tomorrow, I may sneak away and do a little shooting. Who else is itchin' for Turkey Season?

I am as well. I have a new 62/20 guage ( my first flint gun as well) and am chopping at the bit to start patterning. Let us know how you do. :thumbsup:

I'm ready as well. Gonna hunt Nc and Pa. Pa startes close to the time Nc is ending so that works out well. I "m in the middle of building a 20 gauge fowler and hopin to be done with it by turkey season. It's my first from scratch so I have to go really slow. I may have to hunt with my remington 870 instead. Please don't hold that against me :grin: .

saw a flock of 26 birds this morn'...

I think it's april 25th?? up this way.

I have seen five birds in someone's back yard. For crying out loud I could have thrown a rock from my truck when I stopped to look at them.

I have other things on my mind besides turkey. I may do some late season archery in the month of January in the Ocean State. We'll see.

When turkey season does roll around it will be met with the TC Black Mountain magnum 12 guage. I have the spring to find the ideal pattern for the big birds.

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:
Wess

I try to keep track of turkeys all winter. Unlike deer, which seem to leave tracks throughout any suitable habitat, turkeys seem to be around one day and then be gone for weeks. The ideal winter situation for me is regular bouts of a few inches of snow at a time and a meltdown in between. This ideal leaves a fresh record in the forests with proof of what has passed through even if you do not see them. I usually do this type of all winter scouting in conjunction with whatever small game season is open. Good excuse to get out even if I never get a shot at a rabbit or see a turkey. On the other hand, too much snow, (like last year) can make access impossible and I end up waiting until spring to find the birds again.

I'm pretty excited about it! I am going to try and bag one with my longbow this year, and one with the flinter (have bagged 6 Ontario toms so far with my flinter, in the past 3 seasons). But the part I look forward to the most is taking my flinter to OK. We flew last time so no blackpowder, but this spring we are driving. I hope to make some smoke in the OK turkey woods! :grin: I hope to get a chance on NY as well at the end of the season - a friend and I have hunted NY twice now (3 day trips each time) and still haven't pulled the trigger. Those end of the season NY toms are tough!

The Baron said:
I'm pretty excited about it! I am going to try and bag one with my longbow this year, and one with the flinter (have bagged 6 Ontario toms so far with my flinter, in the past 3 seasons)....

You are making it look too easy with the flinter. Trying for a tom with the longbow should put you back in your place. :wink:

I have drawn a prod quality turkey pic every year prior to the season, to really get me in the mood. Here is this one so far of some north woods gobblers.

I hope to finish it up tonight and tomorrow.

WessJan2009b.jpg

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
:hatsoff:
Wess

That is really nice! Do you sell your art? I'd really like to see that when it's finished. That gets me excited to go shooting again. I'm gonna go again on Sunday.

Thanks Idaho! Yeah, I usually make prints to sell, which helps me chase these wonderful birds!

Good luck on the patterning. I can't wait for season as well. The spring thaw is always welcomed!!!

Wess

If they lose their tail or long wing feathers, the Indian Princess tribe that I am in sure would love to get them for a headdress!

I will gather them for you . . . but the molt is at the end of summer.

I have more than I'll ever use at the rate I tie Muddler Minnows.

Plus, if Fred & Wilma ever get their act together we should have some Jakes to be introduced to Mr.Kenmore next fall. ;-)

If you look close there's a chick with Wilma in the above image. She raised an Americana chicken and ignored her own four pullets and they succomed to exposure. The Americana is now a full-sized hen. Turkeys can be so savvy and sooooo stupid at times.

You can have the left wing feathers and the smaller right. I use the RW primaries. ;-)

deer2R.jpg

Thanks. I built one headdress - two more to go. Plus I need to make a lance with feathers. Man kids are a lot of work! :haha:

Back