• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Hunting In Missouri?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looks like I will be in Missouri for opening Day of Turkey Season this year! Near Ashland to be exact! Any of you powder burners know of any place, and willing to share, that I might be able to Smoke a Bird? There is a piece of the Mark Twain NF right there. I plan to order maps tomorrow. Are there any birds there?

I plan to use my 12gauge percussion SXS since my fowler is not done. :( I was not planning to hunt thunder chickens this year. But opportunity presents itself, I may as well give it a shot! :grin: Or if anyone wants some company, I'm Game for that too!!

Thanks for any info yall can share!

So I have a placed laid out to chase long beards in Central MO! Any word on what birds are doing in that neck of the woods?? Are they henned up? Still in Bachelor groups?

I cant Wait!!! 10 more days!!

I tried Skychiefs backwards load yesterday and Holy Maceral does it increase pattern Density! out to 20 yards it shredded the target. Deadly out to 25!

jrmflintlock said:
I tried Skychiefs backwards load yesterday and Holy Maceral does it increase pattern Density! out to 20 yards it shredded the target. Deadly out to 25!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That's great to hear jrm! Thanks for sharing this.

I pity the Missouri gobbler that says, "show me this Skychief Special". :haha:

Go getem, Skychief

Our youth season was this past weekend and the kids stacked them up from all the pictures I've seen. Here in southern MO, the birds have split up. I hear the same thing about mid-Missouri. In the northern part of the state I think they are still bunched up some.

I am headed to Kansas tonight with my 20 gauge smoothbore flinter for their opener tomorrow. I will hunt a few days there and then get back here for our opener on Monday. Good luck!

Darren

If the last several years are any indication, they'll be henned up tight!!!

I'll be out Monday, about 2 counties west of Ashland! Good luck!!

I hope Darren Had some Luck In Kansas!

Not sure what County I'll be in but its near Crocker!

Weather looks like Rain for the opener! :(

Thanks for the info Guys. Good Luck to you all!!

Got out this morning! Had three long beards come in, but they would not get close enough to seal the deal! Hens came along and dragged them off! Overcast skies and forecast had me worried but the rain stayed away!

Tomorrow is another Day! Good luck to all the turkey hunters out there!! Make sure and share pictures!!

Well, my two days of hunting in Missouri have come and gone.

I did not harvest an Eastern long beard but I had a great time!!

I hunted property Owned by Missouri hunting and outdoor adventures. It was all self guided! They were great people to work with!! Tons of birds just could not get them to come close enough to seal the deal with the double barrel smooth bore!

Opening morning I called in three long beards but they would not commit to the decoys, but gave me a great show at 50 yards! If I had not been staring down the rib of my CVA double I would have snapped some pictures. Did get a picture of one of my setups.

1E6DB4F2-1942-4FEB-AA86-F4E7C21671C1_zps8jjw0so9.jpg

Second morning I worked a couple of birds that thundered at every sound in the woods but would not come in. We played cat and mouse for 4 hrs!

Overall it was an awesome experience! Can't wait to go back with my flintlock!

So my turkey season ends, short and sweet !! Good luck to all you guys with more season!! Share those photos!!

It is just great to be in the woods this time of year, especially if you are working birds ,it sounds like you had a great time .Thanks for sharing . Tom :thumbsup:

Opening morning I called in three long beards but they would not commit to the decoys,

I am NOT an expert but I will offer up my advise. I would DITCH the tom decoy and trade for another hen or two or even just use one hen. In many times of the spring season another tom will cause the hang up. In no time of the season will a single or a few hen decoys do this. I have never used a tom decoy and have very good luck.

Nice set up though. In AZ they'd hassle ya bout the road though, even on private property they say ya cant shoot from, upon, into, across or blah blah blah a road. They, if feeling cantankerous, have ticketed a few "road" violations where the road is a simple "path" in long grass made by wood cutters and never to be used again!

Just my 2 pennies of advise. I do have buddies that use toms but my turkey mentor shared this with me s0 I will pass it on. When calling a single decoy WILL be seen by a wary Tom as they approach, they see EVERYTHING. I have used a string on super still mornings to give a slight jerk now and again but ya gotta hide the string REAL well or they see that and stop to study, sometimes till the lose interest

Thanks azmtnman! I was assigned a piece of land and was the only one there, I a did ask about the road thing, since in NM where most of my turkey hunting experience is on
Public land where such a setup is a safety issue. Heck in a lot of public land the tom decoy is a safety issue. I was told by the head guide when he was showing me around to set up in the roads as that's the only clear spot. The woods are increfibaly thick in that part of MO.

I am hoping to draw a Gould tag in AZ some day and would not want to get cross with a conservation officer! :v

I did ditch the Tom decoy on the second day but the birds just would not budge. In NM the boss Toms will not tolerate an interloper and I've had great success. Jakes will keep their distance but mature birds will usually at least display close enough for a shot.

Live an learn! I agree next time no Tom.

I had a great time!! Anytime in the woods is better than being at work!! :grin: Next time I'll have my flintlock!

Yesterday I called in 3 Toms with a hen. They also hung out about 50 yds. had three hen decoys and was in a popup blind. Was quite a show for over a 1/2 hour then they went around the blind about 30 yds. Didn't have a clear shot and with only a 28 ga. I like it less then 25 yds. Sorry you didn't get one but it still is a good show.
Pappy :metoo:

Back