• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Hunting In Missouri?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kansas was a bust for me. I hunted hard for 4 days but never got a bird to work. They were henned up something fierce! The couple of times I caught a longbeard without girlfriends, he just wasn't interested in what I was selling. I tried every trick I could think of but couldn't pull it off. I did call in a jake one time with a paintbrush beard but he wouldn't come close enough for me to feed him some #6 shot. On the bright side, I got plenty of exercise and stimulated the local economy by purchasing 2 new tires after I ran something through the side of one of mine.

I'm fixing to break out the flintlock here in the Show-Me State after my heartbreaking bowhunt this past Tuesday. I called in 3 toms behind my house before work but none of them would step into my setup so I could stick them. They stayed out at the 25 yard range gobbling, spitting and drumming. It was very, very frustrating! The whole time I was thinking, "Man, if I had Sweet Rachael with me, I would blow your stinking head off!" So the selfbow, blind and decoys will be put away and I will be after them again this Sunday with a weapon that has a bit more range. It's raining right now and not supposed to stop until sometime Saturday. I may need to hunt in my hip waders!

Darren

Good luck Darren. Sorry about your tire but, between that and your out of state license/tags thanks for spending money in Kansass.. :thumbsup:
(The state says it needs the tax revenue.) :idunno:

Darren Haverstick said:
Kansas was a bust for me. I hunted hard for 4 days but never got a bird to work. They were henned up something fierce! The couple of times I caught a longbeard without girlfriends, he just wasn't interested in what I was selling. I tried every trick I could think of but couldn't pull it off. I did call in a jake one time with a paintbrush beard but he wouldn't come close enough for me to feed him some #6 shot. On the bright side, I got plenty of exercise and stimulated the local economy by purchasing 2 new tires after I ran something through the side of one of mine.

I'm fixing to break out the flintlock here in the Show-Me State after my heartbreaking bowhunt this past Tuesday. I called in 3 toms behind my house before work but none of them would step into my setup so I could stick them. They stayed out at the 25 yard range gobbling, spitting and drumming. It was very, very frustrating! The whole time I was thinking, "Man, if I had Sweet Rachael with me, I would blow your stinking head off!" So the selfbow, blind and decoys will be put away and I will be after them again this Sunday with a weapon that has a bit more range. It's raining right now and not supposed to stop until sometime Saturday. I may need to hunt in my hip waders!

Darren

More mentor wisdom: "If its gonna work killing a turkey is rather easy (if you can be rock still). If it isnt gonna work you aint gettin a bird, rock or not" Translation: At that magical time a turkey will respond (eagerly though cautiously) you will call in birds no problem, all other times you will not get a bird in range.

I have found that rather true. When the time is right (early and then in between the first breeding) I find if I call in a bird and blow it I usually will call in another, then aother....

Sons first we called in a double (I forgot to shoot) Last year I called in a double (while toting a 12 GA and a possile bag for the 20ga :doh: ). I called them in last year to 5 feet (right other side f the tree I was sitting behind so son couldny shoot. On way out saw several camps with birds (it was "the time").

If I could determine for sure "the time" was right I would stay in bed all other times.

Sons secong hunt we blew an early chance cuz he had to "go" (bad). Next day I killed. 10 days later he woke me up weds AM (school day) and said he just felt it. Back with bird in time for school!

Thats all we have where I live n hunt. There is another type way down south but I stay away from way down south (heat/crime).

FWIW I have found these birds taste at least as good as a butterball! I brine em overnight in salt water. MMMMM :grin: Only difference is legs n wings are WAYYY less meaty and a bit tougher. Butterballs dont spend there days fleeing from coyotes n lions after all :haha:

Latest posts

Back