• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey withdrawals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Gloom, despair, and agony on me.......

I've been trying not to think about it. Trying to keep myself occupied. The work week duties, cleaning up the yard,attempting to come up with satisfying little projects, sorting through the hunting tales here, living vicariously through some friends attempts at a gobbler,....Anything, short of chanting, yoga, or heavy drinking....

Still, I've got the post-turkey season blues. :shake:

Is there any hope of making it for nearly another full year? :idunno:

Any suggestions for my mental well-being are vastly appreciated.

Clinically yours, Skychief

PS, I'm writing this from my recliner next to an open door, trying to let the cool morning air salve my depression. That's great, but, the crows just induced two gobbles back in the woods! :doh: :slap: please, HELP!

I've been having them for 13 days now. Aint a cure I know of. Only thing seems to help is just get out in the yard an burn some powder. I was off yesterday an shot my Bruton deer rifle an this morning My Brooks 40 cal. It kinda sorta helps, well maybe :idunno:

I took my dog and walked through one of my hunting areas on Thursday. We saw 5 gobblers grouped together in one spot with one of them strutting. At a big pond that was almost dried up we spotted 2 jakes at 130 yds in the open. They nailed me "right now." I froze right there and they froze until I had to move. Immediately after I moved they hauled butt. I leaned against a tree and saw 4 ducks get up just before I spotted 2 hens with 8 poults starting across the dry portion. After awhile they spotted me and they took off hoofing the way they had come with the poults running and semi flying to keep up.

Later after we had gone a mile or so farther, 3 large antlerless deer stepped out of a thicket on to the path. By their size I think they were all bucks.

I was only out there about 2 1/2 hours. It was a real good morning. :grin:

No cure for this illness, sorry 'bout that. :idunno:

Now, if you lived in an enlightened state, like some to the south of you, there would be some hope. :blah: Our spring squirrel season opens next Saturday, runs for a month. It's not turkeys, but a nice morning skulking through the spring woods after the wily bushytail with your flintlock smoothbore on your arm will distract you for a while. :haha: :haha:

Spence

I do understand the blues. Health concerns have kept me out of the woods, unfortunately, but maybe next season.

I could not have said it better myself!

I don't have the joy of living where there are turkeys. Two days in MO is all I have to get through till next year.

I moved from the northern mountains of NM where I chased mountain thunder chickens to my hearts content!

But I have a 16 gauge turkey killer going onto the bench soon!
It's a bandaid but it helps. And it will feel good to pull it off next spring!!!

Thanks to all for the words of support. You too Spence :hmm: . :blah: .

Therapy today included a little fishing of my small pond. I'm happy to report that the bluegill are making a comeback after years of lean numbers.

Things were going great until I noticed a gurgling sound eminating from it's drain pipe. After sundown, armed with a strong light, I saw water gushing up from the bottom of the pipe. I think it's at a point where two pipes actually meet within the dam. :doh:

It was then that it dawned on me that the water level was about a foot low of where it should be with all the recent rains.

So, I got a hole in the dam. I think it's near the mouth of the pipe as the ground felt very soft there, just off to the North of it. I think then, the water found the path of least resistance and followed the bottom of the pipe. Finally, at least partly, forming the geyser with the pipe where I recall it joints with another. :td: :td: :td:

I mentioned earlier that I'm trying to occupy myself with little projects, post-turkey season. Well, I think a larger one found me this evening. :shocked2:

Thanks again for all the support guys and good luck to all of you still hunting. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief (neophyte dam repairer :( )

It does sound like you've got work to do . Good Luck on the dam. Filming turkeys could help ease your pain some too. :thumbsup:

1. part with the cash and hunt non resident in another state.

2. go shoot the bp guns at turkey targets..HaHa!

3. build yourself a double batch of turkey chowder,or turkey fajitas.

4. Build 1/2 doz flu flu arrows with bunny buster tips and hammer heads and go woods walking stump shooting with the recurve.

5. Go Fishing

6. when all else fails take your wife shopping... :slap:

7.Sky..the real secret is to have a planned activity booked for after the hunt..something to look forward to... Successful or not...

Latest posts

Back