• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey..YEEEHAA!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyFlintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Things fell into place this week and I was lucky enough to hunt 2 farms..and things worked out.

Tues am: It was raining cats and dogs..so I reluctantly took the conventional shotgun. I called up my buddies first gobbler and after he shot, I shot the other one.

MikeWess.jpg

THURS am: Called this one 100 yards across the property line...took an hour to bring him across and man was it a hoot!

Wess2ndTurk.jpg

wess2ndturk5.jpg

Good luck if you are still chasing them.
wess

Awsome!!! :bow:
Turkey huntings got to be a hoot!I might have to move sometime to where I could try for one. :hatsoff:

Well I tried to do it with photobucket,, Wes--Ky flintlock, but to no luck, cuz that is what it would be as luck!If I did it!

W.T.

Thanks snakeeyes...

Did you log into photobucket and upload the pic? If so, then click on the uploaded pic, right click it and click on properties. Then, drag your mouse across the URL and right click and select COPY.

Let me know.
wess

That last bird was:

25 yards with
90gr FF
1oz 5/8 of #5s,
1 over powder card
1 1/2" felt cushion

12ga double cva caplock - the gun was given to me while I was hunting turkey in Oklahoma this spring! This was the first day I carried her in the woods!! :)

Good luck!
wess

So how does a wild turkey (the bird, not the whiskey) compare to a Honeysuckle or Butter Ball you get from the store?

I have never had wild turkey meat, what is the difference?

We roasted the one i got last spring. It was a younger bird and tasted fine. Not quite the same as a Butterball, but not a whole lot different. Wife cooked it in one of those roasting bags and it was good and moist.

Way to go Wess..nice birds. You bout to get a stringer full this yr. Oklahoma, Kentucky..how many you got so far? When does the season go out in Kentucky?

Season went out yesterday in Ky, but 2 is the limit anyways. It is still in for Ohio, but I haven't even bought a license. I think I will just be happy with the luck I have had and start fishing. :v

Good luck!
wess

Musketman - To me it tastes kind of line a cross with a turkey and a porkchop. I like to grill it or cut in strips and fry. I am gonna marinate some in wishbone italian dressing this weekend and grill. :hatsoff:

Good luck
wess

Musketman,

The legs go into the crockpot all day with bayleaves and that stuff. I don't even gut the stinking thing, I hang it upside down on a choker spreader I made and filet the breast meat off and chunk up some 1 inch by 3-4 inch chunks and marinate them for 1 hour in yoshida goumet sauce mixed with soy sauce and some maple syrup and cook them in a cast iron pan. I also grind up some and make some awesome "TURKEY JERKY"! MMM good!

Hey Wes,

Checking to see if you got the pictures-- Our season goes the month of May in Vermont. Hopefully with the help you gave me I will try to post the next turkey myself! Thanks!

W.T.

Latest posts

Back