• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TURKEY!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyFlintlock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok boys spill it! When are you gonna be after those gobblers? I am taking my son April 5th and man are we ever stoked!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
Wess

Saturady April 12th...(17 days and a wake up!)

We can't hunt Sunday's here but I've been saving a few days up and have scheduled a Saturday/Monday combination that first weekend, then a couple of Friday/Saturday/Monday combinations the next couple weeks...married up a beautiful refinished stock with my GM .62cal Flint barrel...hope to take a photo of it with a nice Tom in a few weeks... :wink:

The season opens here on Mar. 29th and runs through April and into May. My wife is out of town until early April. A couple days after she returns I plan to get up on the mountain and campout for several days, maybe a week. I've seen plenty of turkey sign up there.

Taking a kid for youth day April 12, then I'll be out myself when the regular season opens the 18th - and most mornings after that until it ends or I get my 2 birds.

April 26 - May 26 here in PA! :thumbsup:

Coyote Joe just jug-choked my 11 gauge fowler "full" - I got it back today and can't wait to pattern it... I'll post results.
:hatsoff:

My season here in Michigan will be two weeks long from April 21st to May 4th. I'd like to set up a Primitive camp but the best camp site is also the best roosting area :shake:

Turkey_Gun.JPG

April 21st through may 11th here in Missouri and i have two weeks of vacation coming :thumbsup:

Here in WV season runs fron April 24th-May 28th. Didn't take any vacation this spring but plan on hunting off days and couple personal days. Good hunting to all!

What do you guys do with these birds, anyway?? They taste terrible, and they aint got no fur to make stuff out of! :haha:

NWTF Longhunter said:
My season here in Michigan will be two weeks long from April 21st to May 4th. I'd like to set up a Primitive camp but the best camp site is also the best roosting area :shake:

Turkey_Gun.JPG

I'll be heading back down to the Spanish peak area.
Nice get up NWTF and the lock is even on the right side :haha: .
I love spring turkey season, no hunter orange to be seen and great trekkin weather.
:hatsoff:

DSCF2257-1.jpg

-----looks like they shoot them to take a picture of them-----I don't like turkey neither--hate when Thanksgiving comes around-----

rubincam said:
-----looks like they shoot them to take a picture of them-----I don't like turkey neither--hate when Thanksgiving comes around-----

I'd take a fat tom or hen over any other game bird.
It's all in the way your Granny taught you how to cook a tender jucy bird, yummmm
:bow:
As fer thanksgiving, it's my favorite American holiday, our house is full or wild game and home brew and lots to be thankful for. Amen brother.
:bow:

wirehairman said:
April 12th to May 18th here in Montana. Can't wait!

Hay Montana I'm heading up to the Yaak first of May end of April to do some calling for a few of my neighbors, We'll be hunting in the Troy area, Ever trekked them woods?

Like other wild game, wild turkey usually requires some time soaking in either water with vinegar, or with salt, to take much of the blood out of the meat. Some people living in more rural areas are more used to eating fresh meat, blood and all and don't mind the taste as is.

The rest of us, who usually eat meat that comes out of a store wrapped in plastic, are more adjusted to eating bloodless meat, because of the way slaughterhouses bleed animals as soon as they are killed. We don't do that with game taken in the field, and much of the blood congeals in the blood vessels.

If you will soak the turkey- I bone the meat out because I don't like storing bones-- in salt water for an hour, then soak it in clean water for another hour to get the salt out of the meat, wild turkey begins to lose its " bloody" taste, and tastes more like the turkey we buy in the frozen food section of the local IGA.

As far as making Turkey tasty, it depends on what you do to flavor it. One of the more interesting ways to cook Turkey is to deep fry it. Or you can roast it standing the carcass( bones and all) over an open can of beer, in your BBQ. The beer helps to tenderize the turkey, keeps the meat moist, and flavors the meat well.

If you check the recipes here on this site, there are a couple of great ones there that will give you ideas about how to cook wild game.

Because wild turkey, in particular, is a lot short on fat, I put a swath of cheesecloth over the top of the breast meat, and then baste the meat with flavored butter( wine works great- your favorite, of course!), so that the cheesecloth keeps the butter and flavors on the breast, and keeps the breast meat moist.

I have made Roast turkey using coarse stuffing, that included several fruits, like oranges, limes, apples, pineapple, cranberries, to sweeten the meat, along with some of the more traditional spices like garlic, salt, pepper, onions, mushrooms, bread, butter, etc.

The secret to cooking wild game is to NOT OVERCOOK it. Use moist cooking methods to keep the meat tender.

Back