• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TURKEY!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tips! :hatsoff: Generally I don't soak game before I cook it, I like the taste as it comes, but wild turkey is sure an exception!

I've only had it when someone else cooks it, since I've never gone turkey hunting. Maybe next time I can get someone to cook it differently.

But they still aint got no fur to make stuff out of! :haha:

Its a shame to NOT eat what you kill, IMHO. I decided that there had to be a better way to cook some of the game I shot than what I had, so went searching for Wild game recipes, and cookbooks. Have some. When I compared the recipes to those I have in my College days Betty Crocker cookbook, the only differences were in choosing wet methods to keep the meat moist, to not over cook the meat, and to use different spices. I can't eat a lot of the strong spices recommended, but a relative of my wife told me about soaking the meat to draw out the blood. She had worked in a Meat Processing Business for about 20 years after her husband died. She also told me how to take care of game in the field, and in transporting it, to maximize the taste and quality of the meat( ICE!ASAP)

Since then, I have had people RAVE about the quality and flavor of my roast venison, so I must be doing something right, finally. If you ever need suggestions, contact me. I also had the benefit of knowing a good friend for almost 20 years, who was a gourmet cook, and a hunter, and he had some of the best recipes for Dove Breast that I have ever imagined. He is gone now, but I remember some of them I helped him cook. The same principals can be applied to cooking any bird.

Oh, and yes, in case there is any doubt, I have cooked bad game, tough meat, and stuff that should just have been thrown out. You learn from your mistakes, too. All cooks do. We just find the memories rather painful, and don't want to talk about them unless asked! :hmm: :thumbsup:

Here in Ct., it's a May 7-May 31 deal.
Private land, you can harvest 3 bearded birds while state land, it's 2 birds.
My feelings, I wish it started a week or 2 earlier. The end of May is tough hunting here. Toms aren't too responsive at that point.

I don't have a BP shotgun...yet.
But I do use a modern 12ga SXS Hammer Gun.

I have the week after Mothers Day here in WI. Hunting near the Miss River. Will take a GM 62 flint smoothie jug choked full and a Jackie Brown 11 ga. which I tried to jug choke myself to modified. Lots of patterning to do. Never had a bad turkey! Mostly cook them in a nesco for 6 to 7 hrs. Tried all different ways to season them and always came out good. Trout season is open then too and Ive had some fair luck with that. Trout for breakfast is good too! Best of luck to you all. Be safe in the woods!

lone hunter said:
"We'll be hunting in the Troy area, Ever trekked them woods?"

Maybe I'll see you up Smith creek. :v

Howdy Lone,
I really enjoy the Northwest senic area all the way over to Lake Kucanusa lots of "wild" country up there against B.C. and the U.S.
Turkys are starting to do well in the Yaak but not enough for a season or so it would seem.
:hatsoff:

NWTF - You in area F? We start 4/21 and end 5/4 there. If so, FYI, I took this picture yesterday near Tuttle Marsh; the whole flock was about 30-35 birds:
P3290165.jpg

Starts Apr 12th in the Wyo side of the Hills. Going over this weekend to check things out. Most of the turkeys are still down low as the winter has had a lot of snow this year. Can't wait to get one over the bbls of my 13 gage flinter.

Othern

Greenmtnboy said:
wirehairman said:
April 12th to May 18th here in Montana. Can't wait!

Hay Montana I'm heading up to the Yaak first of May end of April to do some calling for a few of my neighbors, We'll be hunting in the Troy area, Ever trekked them woods?

That's a fair poke from my neck of the woods (Billings), so I've only been that far northwest once or twice.

that's some good eating there, I use a fryer and inject them with marinade and let soak in 2-3 hrs then dunk 'em. delish!

I gotta wait until April 25th! Oh well... we are just now losing our snow, so it has been a late start. Still have to go and scout the birds once the snows melt and the flocks break up, and also pattern the flinter. 24 more sleeps until the big day!

Best way for preparing turkey is smoking, using
cherry wood.
QUESTION TO SOUTHERN COLORADO: Have the turkeys found around Pagosa Springs survived the winter? Are there a couple gobblers for me and my wife?

wirehairman said:
Greenmtnboy said:
wirehairman said:
April 12th to May 18th here in Montana. Can't wait!

Hay Montana I'm heading up to the Yaak first of May end of April to do some calling for a few of my neighbors, We'll be hunting in the Troy area, Ever trekked them woods?

That's a fair poke from my neck of the woods (Billings), so I've only been that far northwest once or twice.

Hay how do you like the country just south of Red lodge on the Custer National forest? My wife and I want to do some trekking there? Also she is looking at nursing jobs in the Billings area.
I have been looking at the MT Public lands map and it looks like great country.

oletymepreacher said:
Best way for preparing turkey is smoking, using
cherry wood.
QUESTION TO SOUTHERN COLORADO: Have the turkeys found around Pagosa Springs survived the winter? Are there a couple gobblers for me and my wife?

I know they had a easy go of it in the Trinidad area not sure about anywhere elce.

Thank you, Trinidad is a second choice, glad to hear turkeys are doing well there. Another hunting partner called a wildlife biologist near Pagosa Springs, but the biologist wasn't any help. Thanks again.

Greenmtnboy said:
Hay how do you like the country just south of Red lodge on the Custer National forest? My wife and I want to do some trekking there? Also she is looking at nursing jobs in the Billings area.

The Beartooth Range gets pretty rugged, pretty fast. It is probably right up your alley.

Nursing jobs in Billings aren't too hard to come by between Billings Clinic, St. Vincent's, and the various private practices. It is just a matter of what she wants to do and what she wants to make. My wife works in the marketing/planning department for Billings Clinic, and we know a ton of people that work at both hospitals. If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to get you an answer.

Turkey season has been open here for almost a week, but it has been raining most of the time.
I got up early this morning intending to get into the woods, but the rain was pouring down. By 10AM it had dwindled down to a light drizzle. Wanting to get out of the house, I decided to jump in my boat and take a ride up the river.
Wouldn't you know it? Saw two different flocks of turkeys beside the river. Each flock had a big tom with his fan spread and he was strutting around putting on quite a show for the ladies.
I couldn't catch them with my fishing rod. :surrender:

"Turkys are starting to do well in the Yaak but not enough for a season or so it would seem."

Just returned from a drive through Troy/Yaak area. Saw about thirty birds at mouth of Yaak.

wirehairman said:
Greenmtnboy said:

The Beartooth Range gets pretty rugged, pretty fast. It is probably right up your alley.

Nursing jobs in Billings aren't too hard to come by between Billings Clinic, St. Vincent's, and the various private practices. It is just a matter of what she wants to do and what she wants to make. My wife works in the marketing/planning department for Billings Clinic, and we know a ton of people that work at both hospitals. If you have any questions, let me know, and I'll do my best to get you an answer.

thank you very much for the reply, The famley and I are heading north in two weeks. Going to be passing through Custer, ya I like steep and rugged.
We will be checking out hospitals in that area.

lone hunter said:
"Turkys are starting to do well in the Yaak but not enough for a season or so it would seem."

Just returned from a drive through Troy/Yaak area. Saw about thirty birds at mouth of Yaak.
Sweet !! I love that drive up to the Yaak and of coarse a stop in at the Gold nugget to say hay to everybody and have a cold one.
:bow:

Greenmtnboy said:
thank you very much for the reply, The famley and I are heading north in two weeks. Going to be passing through Custer, ya I like steep and rugged.
We will be checking out hospitals in that area.

Custer the town? Custer County? Custer National Forest?

In any case, it sounds like you'll be passing through or near Billings. If you need someone to show you around or guide you to the local breweries, just holler.

Back