• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turtle Soup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Thought I'd share kind of an odd combination. This is a picture of a snapper I took out of a creek when I was looking for squirrels in early autumn. The head was as big as my closed fist. I finished him off with my .36 frontier rifle. First turtle I ever took. I didn't realize they keep moving after they're dead and ended up shooting him 4 times. :confused:
SnappingTurtle.jpg

I don't want to sound mean but why shoot turtles? Again not being mean just wanting to know. Ron

I can't answer for Trench, be we ate them when I was growing up. Yum. Got them all the time on the trotlines we ran for catfish. My granpap also carved some pretty neat stuff, including fishing lures, from the shells.

Idaho Ron said:
I don't want to sound mean but why shoot turtles? Again not being mean just wanting to know. Ron

Why shoot them at all, or why didn't I kill it another way? Honestly, this was my first turtle and I was a little shy of the snapper biting my thumb off should I use my trade knife. Is there another way?
Now that I've shot a turtle I can say the reason to do so is because they are VERY tasty. So far I've made turtle soup and a pot pie out of the meat and I'm only half way through the critter. :grin:

I can honestly say Trench, that is the very first snapper I ever heard about being taken with a flintlock. :haha: :thumbsup: Standard procedure up here is sticking a stick in its mouth, he clamps down, pull to stretch the head out and then one swing with a sharp axe finishes the job.

Man you take great pictures. Now you show me one more picture of that rifle and I swear I'm going out and buying one in 45cal, please stop tempting me. :hatsoff:

10 gauge said:
Man you take great pictures. Now you show me one more picture of that rifle and I swear I'm going out and buying one in 45cal, please stop tempting me. :hatsoff:

Thanks for the comment. Before you get too excited, this Pedersoli Frontier is a refinished version. I think I got lucky with the curl on that walnut stock. It's got 7 applications of tung oil.

I had no idea that people eat turtles here in the USA. Are there seasons, and limits on them? Hunting I guess is ok, and fishing?
I saw a turtle in montana once on the madison river outside of Three Forks. I was thinking that it was one someone lost. Ron

Ya know, I couldn't tell you for sure without looking it up about here. I don't ever remember seeing anything in our reg's about them. I grew up on a fish hatchery and when ever a snapper found its way into any of the ponds, it was delt with quickly and an uncle would always turn into turtle soup.

Idaho Ron said:
I had no idea that people eat turtles here in the USA. Are there seasons, and limits on them? Hunting I guess is ok, and fishing?
I saw a turtle in montana once on the madison river outside of Three Forks. I was thinking that it was one someone lost. Ron

In Indiana you can take snappers all year round and there is no daily bag limit. That surprises me a bit.

I grew up in NJ and many little restaraunts in the Pines served snapping turtle.

I can remember that is was so good that I always had to stop and get a bowl of soup.

Down here in Ga., I believe that the season is year round and I have thought about trapping them on the Etowah many times. I just don't have the time or a boat right now.

It will be something to do in a few years.

Hmmmm, hmmmmm, good.

First flint turtle I ever heard of too. Do ya think that's why they put turtle sights on them old smoothy guns? :haha:

Grats! :thumbsup:

I love fried snapper. My cousin and I used to shoot snapping turtle with 22 rifles along the Missouri River years ago. My Grandma would make soup or fry them, then put it in a dutch oven for a hour or two. Anyway I hope you enjoy your Turtle
Merch

:grin: You guys need to post your turtle recipes in the camp kitchen section. Man, I'm gettin hungry.

:grin: :grin:

After we had some terrible rains here last fall I saved one from the road he was one mean critter, took a stick and man they attack fast. I was told by an old farmer friend that you should set them in fresh water for a few days changing the water twice daily so they get "cleaned out" Good eating I am told. you could make a real sturdy possibles bag out of that shell.

Idaho Ron:
Snappers are not only not endangered, they are very aggressive predators. They will take over a pond and drown and devour the waterfowl. From what I understand, every snapper caught and eaten is a favor to the rest of the critters in the neighborhood. The classic "Joy of Cooking" still has turtle recipes in it, last I checked.

Back