• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turtle Soup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SNAPPERLOCK. You started a whole new game! :rotf: We used to eat them when I was growing up and they were right tasty!

:thumbsup: Turtle was widely eaten in times ago, great way to connect to the past. The best way to kill any animal is as quickly and humanely as possible. I read somewhere that some Indians believed that if an animal was frightened when it was killed, it tainted the meat.

I have ate a few snappers and rubber backs.
Michigan has a season on them and there is a size limit.
Best way to kill one is to a sharp rap on the end of its nose.

Snappers make good eatin' and our local game warden traps them so I guess that makes it legal in my book.
Dusty

We ate snappers and softshells when I was growing up. Using trotlines, seems like we would catch about 7 or 8 softshells to every snapper (they both will take your fingers off!). Turtle........MMMmmmm MMMmmmm GOOD!!

snappers get up to good size here here on the French Broad river head-end. they come out early spring from the mud they bury into over winter to keep from freezing. they are best taken in fall. I've parboiled then fried the meat, tasty. the soup made from the meat is considered a real conessieurs item, but I haven't made any.

I love snapper soup,and fried snapper.I grew up eating it at my grandparents house.They lived in the country with a creek not far away.My grandad use to get them in the fall.I always looked forward to it,and it was cool to tell the kids at school that I ate it.They thought I was a crazy wild man.

I respect any man who kills a critter and puts it to use. Since they are legal, this is another variety on the table besides deer, turkey, squirrels, ducks and geese,just to name a few. Maybe my Pedersoli-Lancaster conversion will get lucky some year,too :grin:
Did you use TOW replacement springs on your lock oruse the standard ones?

tecum-tha said:
I respect any man who kills a critter and puts it to use. Since they are legal, this is another variety on the table besides deer, turkey, squirrels, ducks and geese,just to name a few. Maybe my Pedersoli-Lancaster conversion will get lucky some year,too :grin:
Did you use TOW replacement springs on your lock oruse the standard ones?

All the equipment is the same, I just stripped the case color off that lock and refinished the stock and then candy-striped the ramrod. I also cut the buckhorns off the rear sight.
If you get that replacement spring, let me know what you think of it.

Back