• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM .40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just purchased my first flintlock ever today. The guy said it is a TVM, but no markings other than a box from TVM that he purchased from an estate sale. My question is did TVM build these rifles with a De Haas barrels, this gentleman said this rifle has one. The rifle is beautiful and can not wait to get it here. Its a .40 and I have been waiting for the right one.
Thanks.
Aim small, miss small...

Do not be jealous, just invite me over and I will let you shoot her! Really, I have been looking for a long time, and finally one came up, that is brand new/unfired, but I have questions.
Aim small, miss small...

Custom Smokepole said:
The guy said it is a TVM, but no markings other than a box from TVM that he purchased from an estate sale. My question is did TVM build these rifles with a De Haas barrels...

Speaking from only the past couple years as my own reference, TVM apparently offers a line of muzzleloaders using components of their choosing that they probably buy in large volumes unless the buyer indicates differently. For example, they currently seem to be using GM barrels...in the case of some Virginias I had built, I specified Rice barrels so that's what are on mine.

That DeHaas barrel might have been TVM's standard component at the time yours was built back then or it might have been specified by the buyer...so yes, in either case its probably safe to assume that TVM built it. Anther thing that TVM owner Matt Avance does is have his name stamped on the top flat of the barrel a few inches ahead of the breech...M. Avance...regardless of the make of the barrel.

Interesting coincidence that you stumbled across a .40cal like that...I'd been wanting one as well to use for a few years after I retire at the end of this year but with the wait time for building it, decided I wouldn't bother ordering one at my age.
A month ago I stumbled across a .40cal Late Lancaster built by TVM for a customer almost exactly the way I would have ordered it, had only been used at the range one time and the sights had not even been filed...essentially brand new in perfect condition with no wait time...so I can understand your excitement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Roundball. I feelt better till you mentioned that M Avance would be stamped on the top flat, this barrel has nothing! Could this rifle have been ordered with the intention of not having anything stamped?? From the pics, I could see nothing. The gentleman said he found nothing also.
This rifle may have been fired once, but no filing on front or rear sights, even the full length of the dovetail on the front sight is still there.
We will have to see.
Aim small, miss small...

Custom Smokepole said:
I feelt better till you mentioned that M Avance would be stamped on the top flat, this barrel has nothing! Could this rifle have been ordered with the intention of not having anything stamped?? From the pics, I could see nothing. The gentleman said he found nothing also.

Well, I just remembered, there's actually more than one TVM:

Tennessee Valley Manufacturing...(and Matt used to build there years ago)
and
Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading - that Matt Avance branched out on his own and established years ago.

Your .40cal might be from the other TVM...Tennessee Valley Manufacturing.

Roundball, thanks again. I called TVM and sent them the pictures, and he did say it is his rifle, I feel a lot better now. The finish on the barrel is a way were they apply a blueing/browning and then take it off, antiqueing I guess.
Either way, very happy.
Aim small, miss small...

Congrats on buying your first flintlock, It will do you proud. thanks to reading about them on places like this forum, and the Hunting with a Flintlock videos by Brian Beckum. I now have 2. That's 2 more than I ever thought I would have and now I could really care less to shoot anything but a flintlock now.

Thanks T.O. I will share pics when I get it. The videos would be great and I will try to find them.
I do not know if I will ever get another rifle, but who knows. I have a Brant Selb custom .56 cal Hawken rifle that is the one I will use for all large scale hunting. This .40 will be used for everything else. I look forward to it, and learning the ins and outs of this rifle.
Aim small, miss small...

I have a TVM from matt with a De Haas barrel and it shooots a clover leaf pattern at fifty yards,just one ragged hole. You should be happoy with it.

I have a 40 S MTN that like you I waited awhile. I had even talked with Toni & Matt about the build just getting ready for the deposit to be sent and low and behold one popped up on gunbroker...unfired and just exactly like the one I wanted them to build, got it several 100 dollars cheaper...no waiting too.It has a Long Hammock barrel and is scary accurate with 50gr Fffg,oxyoke wool patch OP,.010 pillow ticking,and hand cast RB from WW lead.3 shots @ 60yds touching @9 o'clock less than 1/2 inch off the 1" bullseye.Shot a doe with her last year @ less than 50yds went up to 60gr Fffg for a hunting load,thought I missed but when the smoke cleard the doe was DRT (dead right there) Enjoy it it'll probably be one of your favorite rifles

Thanks Caddo, should have late this week or next, hard tellin as far as UPS, with 4th of July coming.

Majg, I believe it will be also. First FL though. I have a Hawken built by Brant Selb, incredible rifle, and built to my specs.
Love them all.
Aim small, miss small...

Back