• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Don't hear much about their kits and I was thinking of ordering one. Was wondering if anyone has built one of their flintlock kits and what they thought about it, inletting and quality and ease of build is my biggest concern as this would be my first. I was hoping most of the inletting and shaping was dome and all I would need to do it final fitting and minor shaping.

MLS

Will do as much or as little as you want them to do. A builder told me that they do the best work he has seen, each stock is hand done like they own it.

In fact he hates black walnut, yet said mine was the best piece he had ever seen or worked with.

Givem a free call and talk with them.

I was set on a Chambers kit, until I did.

and those Chambers kits are real nice, Ive seen a few.

The only thing I dislike about their stocks is the method they use to create the ramrod hole.
This dislike is probably more just a matter of personal taste because I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it.

To make their ramrod hole, rather than drill the hole to it's full depth they drill it about 3 inches deep. Then they route a open groove in the bottom of the barrel channel which starts where the ramrod hole ends and extends back to the area of where the breech plug will be.

This method removes a lot of wood and, in my opinion weakens the stock.

One of the methods of "fixing" this is to get a thin strip of wood that is the same width as the routed slot. Then insert a ramrod into the hole all the way to the end of the slot. Then carefully apply some wood glue to the edges of the strip and place it into the top of the slot.
This will replace the wood that was removed and still leave a functional hole for the ramrod.

The only danger in doing this is you don't want to accidentally glue the filler strip to the ramrod. :grin:

zonie :)

Site looks nice but I'm looking to build a Tennessee or Southern Mountain style rifle. Didn't see them on the website.

I built one of TVM's early Virginia rifles years ago. I thought it went together real easy. For a guy with no talent I (and others) think it turned out nice. And it's a good shooter to.

Slash let me know that she shipped my pistol kit the other day. She posts on here occasionally; her husband builds the guns and doesn't go on the internet. I'll post some pics of the kit when it arrives, but they've been very nice to deal with here on the net, and were wonderful in person when I met them at Dixon's Fair this summer.

I as in myself and our club members have built six or seven kits from Jack Garner (TVM) and have been throughly satisified.I and my son have the following: a tennessee poor boy, two southern mountains completed and REALLY LIKE THEM not only that but you can't beat the quality in Jacks stocks, :v

There's a Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading
and a Tennessee Valley Manufacturing

I can't believe no one has said this yet, but why not go with a Chambers kit?

as an aside anecdote, people chiming in Chambers reminds me of people on[url] thehighroad.org[/url]. If someone asks about say a Springfield XD at LEAST 4 people reply "buy a Glock". Chambers' is the Glock of the muzzleloading world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
We have kits for the TN. and Southern. I would be glad to email pictures of the kit pictures and amount of work done (PM).
Slash

Latest posts

Back