• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Twist in Barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you're talkin'. All these "scientific" restrictions published in books and mags only helps barrel makers sell more barrels. They make some shooters feel that they have to have one barrel for conicals and another for PRB. Although I don't doubt that conicals may need a faster twist to stabilize them but ........aw heck, I'm tired of worrying about it already.

I was shooting my White Mountain carbine with 80 gr. Pyro RS and ran out of 370 gr. maxi-balls (which can touch holes at 50 yards) and used a .490 RB w/.018" patch and they shot just as good, but grouped about 6 inches higher than the maxi-balls. :results:

Oscar/NC

Musketman - 1 turn in 98" in the .69 is one of the best RB twists for that calibre. Actually, anything from 60" to 120" will work just fine and shoot accurately at from 75 to 250 yd.,in the .69, IF the "required" charge is used or is "safe" to be used. The slower the twist, the higher the velocity is required and therefore the more powder is required to maintain guilt-edge accuracy.

Back