• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two days two bucks...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wvbuckbuster said:
Looks like two GOOD shots! What calibar is that?

.62 cal .595 lead greased patched round ball, that spike was shot at 56 paces off my knee. The sun washed out a little of my front sight blade so I must have held a little high because I normally go for a heart shot.

Whats that old saying sun up sights down?

Billy Lo said:
Valid question, you shoot a spike that is say just at or over the 3" limit with one horn and you already tagged a buck. What are you supposed to do surrender yourself with the deer to the nearest DEC officer or give the deer to another hunter in the woods with you you has an unfilled buck tag and gladly wants it? I suppose some guys would let it rot or break the antler off with a rock but thats not for me.

Seriously what are you supposed to do because I can't find anything in the "BOOK" on it?

First of all the law is the law. Any CO will tell you your supposed to know what your shooting. They don't want to hear that you didn't know it was a legal buck.

A few years ago I was hunting with a friend during our first week of antlerless season and he shot a "Doe" and came and got me to help him find it. Well we did find it and that Doe had 5" spikes that he did not see. Oh great...after chewing him out I told him he had to deal with it, that I wasn't touching it and it wasn't going in my cooler. After about an hour of discussing it, he called DEM and fessed up which brought out a CO who couldn't believe his honesty. The CO said why in the hell didn't you just break off the antlers like everyone else does? :youcrazy: They confiscated the animal which went to a gun club and he was issued a warning. Guess it coulda been worse but he learned a valuable lesson that day. To always make sure what your shooting.

Billy Lo said:
Valid question, you shoot a spike that is say just at or over the 3" limit with one horn and you already tagged a buck. What are you supposed to do surrender yourself with the deer to the nearest DEC officer or give the deer to another hunter in the woods with you you has an unfilled buck tag and gladly wants it? I suppose some guys would let it rot or break the antler off with a rock but thats not for me.

Seriously what are you supposed to do because I can't find anything in the "BOOK" on it?

As you say: "good question". I can't find anything on the back of my driver's license or on the DMV site that says what happens if wake up in the morning and find I drove someone else's car home by mistake the prior night, either.

I can't say I'd have done any different . . . except maybe the part about telling 13,000 people about it. :haha: I've passed up dozens of shots on deer just because I didn't have a good view of the head to be certain. And I've also killed a six point doe that was a real surprise! Not my place to preach. Not my place to judge. I don't think anyone would haul you off to the pokey for being 1/2" or even 1" over the rule.

When I first started hunting we had one guy in the group who whold have starved to death if it hadn't been that others filled his doe tag for him. Worst shot I have ever known but a dedicated hunter. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. No one ever said laws were designed for sensibility, practicality or fairness. :wink:

People have been killing to eat a lot longer than they've been writing laws or wearing clothes. Instinctively you did what was right for the species.

Question from Germany:

How is the fullfilling of the tags checked? Do you have to show the harvested game anywhere?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Stumpkiller said:
And I've also killed a six point doe that was a real surprise!

I don't know about you Stumpy. You kill stumps and does that mysteriously sprout horns upon being shot! I wanna hunt with you! :thumbsup: :rotf:

About 10 years ago I almost had a shot at a real trophy, but he ambled off into the thick stuff. He was a One Pointer, a spike on one side, nothing on the other. He would have scored about 7 on non-typical scoring.
Our game regulations state a buck is a deer with antlerS longer than 3". An antlerless deer has antlerS less than 3" or no antlers. Thus the one pointer didn't qualify as either.
I would have taken the shot and let the game warden decide. He later told me it would count as a buck.

No. The antlers were there BEFORE I shot. At the check point they labeled it a "hermaphhrodite deer" and it is considered a legal antlered deer harvest as it did have antlers.

I was surprised that they are not uncommon. In fact, common enough that the wording on the licenses and permits allows for antlered female as well as antlerless male deer. Guess the Nine Mile Nuclear plant is making a difference.

Kirrmeister - in NY State we are expected to stop at any deer check point we come across - but it is not required that you must seek one out to be checked. The wardens drop in at deer processing spots (usually private and often commercial meat processors - though the equipment must be "decontaminated" of deer meat before they can resume routine domestic animals). So, if you butcher your own deer there is no requirement anyone ever see it. The reporting of harvest is automated and over the phone. Very informal. In the past the deer had to be "visible" during transport, but now you can cover them up or carry them inside a vehicle.

Last year I killed an "introduced" fallow deer and had all kinds of involvement with game biologists, the county sheriff's dept, county (farm) agents and minimal concern from the DEC (Dept of Environmental Conservation - our states call them different things). Once the game warden was convinced it was a fallow deer he washed his hands of it - not a regulated species. The sheriff didn't much care as it was on my own property and was not tagged as a domestic animal needs to be. Turns out a farm 10 miles away had illegally imported a herd into NY (with poor containment) and they were in some hot water. The biggest hurdle was the state biologist who tested it for rabies, tuburculosis, chronic wasting and other diseases. Once it got past all that it was returned to me (actually it was hanging in a butcher's walk-in freezer all the time).

PS - doesn't taste near as good as whitetail venison IMHO.

There are also, however, circulating game wardens that will check licenses, tags/permits and hunting implements. In 28 years I have been approached exactly twice while in the field. Once while hunting and one while loading a deer into a vehicle.

In my much longer fishing experience (35 yrs +/- needing a license) I have been asked to show a fishing license and my catch three times. HArdly as oppressive as some guys make out. But then, I just look honest. ;-)

Good shootin Billy LO!,
Here it's not legal to fill someone elses tag but it happens sometimes.... :wink: Nice Eatin Deers!

Back