• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two-fer ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me Never!

It is way too dangerous maiming the animal and not getting it. I owe it to the creature to try and give it the quickest death possible.
As mentioned above the path of the bullet is very unpredictable once it hit.

Silex

I think it is interesting that many say they never find the ball as it always passes through; and others say seldom passes through. :hmm: Is this because of the difference in powder or deflected balls? :idunno:

rawhidekid said:
I think it is interesting that many say they never find the ball as it always passes through; and others say seldom passes through. :hmm: Is this because of the difference in powder or deflected balls? :idunno:

:idunno: could be shot taken. It came to me just this year that I almost always try to bisect the chest with a quartering away shot, aimed at far shoulder.
I can't even tell you when I started to favor that shot :idunno:

But that would seem to add inches of deer between entry & exit.

Hate to start this way, but...I'm not proud of this by any means and I wasn't trying to do this at all, but I did do this this fall.
Wasn't going to hunt that day had to work on the farm and would try to hunt another day. Walked the dog in the early AM and saw about 3 to 4 deer in the soybeans behind the yard, thought well maybe I could try if they stayed around, put the dog away and they were still there and I got the .45 flinter out of the truck and primed the pan and got as close as I could and they were still there. At about 60 yards picked out a large doe and had a small window of brush and trees to shoot through and took the shot, no wind so the smoke filled everything, did see a flash to the right and when the smoked lifted thought it could have been a miss and started to reload when the one on the ground started thrashing so I went to where I could cross the ditch easy and as soon as I got past the ditch I saw Mr. skunk and became completely interested in only him until he left the area and then I went to finish off the deer. She was smaller than I thought, but it was meat and I loaded her in the pick-up to take her to another part of the farm to gut it and off to the processor.
Now the rest...that evening when I got home there was a buzzard in a tree in the back yard, didn't think any thing of it. The next morning there were two, thought I could have hit another and went into the woods near the yard and looked, no sign of anything. That was Saturday, on Sunday it was a Bald Eagle and it took of and glided into the Soybean field and I thought o manure...walked out and found the remains of a large doe, Damn!
The processor said he found a small fragment of ball lodged in the back of the deer I brought him. I'm guessing the ball it the large doe, broke up on something and part of it went trough and hit the small doe in the back, but it would have had to come out at about a 35 to 45 degree angle to do this. Because of the small window I shoot through I couldn't have seen anything to left and straight away where this doe ran. I may have seen her if I wasn't distracted by the skunk but maybe not. I had a deer down and I thought that was it. As I said, really not proud of this just thought folks should know it can happen.

rawhidekid said:

Again, I agree that the two-fer is NOT a shot to be taken and I freely admit to stirring the pot with this one, but I really expected to see at least a few more say that they would try this shot.... I am once again pleased with the integrity of the folks on here. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I brought this up for the sake of debate and conversation after the many posts talking about the penetration of the .54 prb on critters like elk, moose, buffalo, and wild boar.... All distinctly "wider" and or "tougher" than whitetail deer. Yes, the 54 Hawken power thread does talk of an accidental two-fer but it's far from the only thread talking up the penetration of the .54 in maybe "overly optimistic" light? Why would trying a two-fer "maybe" be ok for critters like coyote and wolves? Not as tough, or something else? Yeah there I go stirring the pot again.... :stir:

I've seen with elk where I was sure I was looking at 5 elk. Watched them for 2-3 minutes then one takes a step & there are 6 :shocked2:

Sounds like she went down in the field, at least you didn't have a wounded doe out there suffering :doh:

It sucks man :idunno:

I have helped track 7-8 badly shot animals, 2 were my own :redface: each made me sick with worry that my actions cause undue suffering. My 2nd was with modern equipment & a scope mount failed. I was alone & had to follow up shooting by aiming down the side of the barrel. I missed twice. I thought for sure I was going to outright fail her. When I finally ended that doe's suffering I thanked god with more than one tear in my eye.

Thanks, looked like she went about 50-60 yds and went down, wish I had realized then what happened.

Latest posts

Back