• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two Leather Bottle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc.knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The leather soaked in melted beeswax

cork - beech
capacity - 500ml

DSC05667.JPG

DSC05659.JPG

cork - beech
capacity - 500ml

DSC05716.JPG

DSC05804.JPG

DSC05812.JPG

Very nice PC! I love the color of the leather, did you stain it first, or is that color from the melted wax? :v

It is the color of wax. Bottle soaked in hot wax, about 30 minutes, and by all this time wax penetrated into the skin, thanks to this bottle does not leak ... and got this beautiful color :wink:

I do a variation of this technique to waterproof my leather canteens.....

Very,very nice work. I have made a few containers of that kind for balls but never thought of one for liquid.
Ron

That may be the most attractive piece of leather i have ever seen! Very nice! :v

That is very very nice work, it gives me hope for the two moccasin cutouts I made out of hide which turns out to be too thick for moc's.

Can you explain how you molded the leather like that? I've been wanting to make a shot puch and a ball bag like that, but I'm not sure of the process. Great looking pieces!

The skin is sewn flat, then soaked in very warm water for about 15 minutes. Then heated in about 200 degrees Celsius small pebbles...

zwir_10b.jpg

...and poured inside the bottle to knead them well with a stick. When the bottle reaches the proper shape already shut it with a stopper and leave to dry. When it is dry scatter stones and I put a bottle of wax.
After removing with the wax bottles the skin is hard and stiff

I hope my bad English enough to understand;) if it does not ask me I'll try to write differently

Your english is fine! I never thought of using that method, I was trying to figure out some way of making a mold, but your method is a lot easier! I have the leather and a charger for my shot pouch, just haven't made it because I didn't know how. I'll try your method! Is there a particular kind of wax you use, or would regular old beeswax work?
Thanks for the help,
Bryan

I use a simple beeswax. To which I did zanużyły bottles in it needed all of about 5 kg of wax.

The wax is dissolved in a water bath that is the pot of wax insert to a larger pot with water and it was only this big pot heater.
This prevents ignition of the wax and deformation of the skin, by maintaining the right temperature wax.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Five thumbs up, simply an awesome canteen cheers great job bud! :hatsoff: a loyalist Dawg

Back